SNK Playmore To Focus On Wii

Gryph

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9343

Talking in an online interview, SNK Playmore USA president Ben Herman has claimed that the Wii will receive the most support of any next generation format from the company, due to its greater suitability to the publisher’s traditional 2D games.

According to the interview on Advanced Media Network, SNK Playmore has no plans to release any further titles on the Xbox, and feels 2D games are not suitable for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. Sherman also confirms that Sony of America rejected a number of 2D projects from the company for the PlayStation 2 because they did not correspond to the company’s graphical standards, as well as limiting the number of releases that featured two retro titles in one package.

Very cool indeed. The Wii keeps getting more and more attractive. I've always appreciated the art detail that goes in 2D games like Metal Slug which could never be done in 3D (atleast not yet).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be from the very same interview;

"Ben Herman: Still undecided as to what we'll do with it. It's a 2-D game so we can't bring it to PS3 or Xbox 360 as is. Quite possibly it will come to a Nintendo system because Nintendo is certainly does not have a high-definition requirement but we're still analyzing our plans for that. In our agreements with Sega-Sammy, essentially we do not announce any console plans until a certain time period has passed and we're still within that time-frame. "

http://360.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7430 <- without following the sea the links.

I saw this coming, which is why Wii has been the console of choice for me for a while :). Gosh I can't wait till 2k7 when all the games are out and the online service is running great!

Hmmm - if this is going to be the case - I'll have to get one.

Most 3d-titles today are all candy and no-gameplay anyway. 3d games back then were more atmospheric than most 3d games I've played since ps1

He says in the full interview that the old metal slug games will use the wii remote's motion sensing functions. You'll be able to "lob" a grenade by making that kind of motion with the remote, for example. Frankly, this scares me. As long as it's optional, and I can use the classic-style controller for everything if I want to, I'm fine with it. Otherwise it just feels like forcing this motion sensing stuff down our throats.