SNK Playmore To Focus On Wii

Gryph

Well, the Wii has two major draws for me:

1) The Wiimote and all the new gameplay options this will make available. This is kind of a gamble, since we don't know what will come of it exactly, but I'm willing to gamble for something new.

2) Retro Games via the download service, support from retro-game developers like SNK, etc. This should be a surefire win. Even if everything that comes out with a new motion sensing gimick turns out to suck, these games will give the Wii something tried and true to fall back on.

If all of the games in category 2, like the metal slug anthology, come out tweaked so that they actually fall into category 1, then the Wii loses its failsafe to me. As an option, I'm all for it. Hell, I'm looking forward to trying it. But I want the original gameplay to be the expected feature on these retro titles, and the Wiimote experiments to be an entertaining side note.

And yes, K'dash, the first thing I pictured was lobbing my Wiimote behind my entertainment center and ducking for cover. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note :

SNK Playmore is taking a risk on this one.....

Their pretty much locked out of the race now. Because their 2d games won't have enough mass market appeal, even on the Japanese market. Unless they start making their games in uber high-res for next gen systems. Sony in Japan won't let them waltz by like they did on PS2.

Sounds like their only issue with the 360 is they are to lazy to up the resolution to 720p  :P

I have a feeling the 2D thing is probably an issue there as well. Maybe not as big an issue as with Sony, but it's probably still a pain.

Maybe, but the Live Arcade has a bunch of 2D games. I really don't think MS has a problem with 2D, but they insist on 720p. SNK is just too lazy IMO.

Live Arcade cannot support SNK games because they cannot hold all the game into memory (seriously, games with like 100-150 MB of stuff). NGBC is still on track for 360 in Japan, just delayed indefinately for some reason.

Very cool indeed. The Wii keeps getting more and more attractive. I've always appreciated the art detail that goes in 2D games like Metal Slug which could never be done in 3D (atleast not yet).

I agree completely. I can't wait to see the screenshots of games like King of Fighters XI on the Wii. :)

Live Arcade cannot support SNK games because they cannot hold all the game into memory (seriously, games with like 100-150 MB of stuff). NGBC is still on track for 360 in Japan, just delayed indefinately for some reason.

I didn't mean to imply that they should be Live Arcade games, I just used the Live Arcade games as an example that I don't think MS has any bias against 2D games. But they do insist on 720p... even all the Live Arcade games are 720p.

So it seems to me that the blame for the games not coming to the 360 lies completely on SNK and their laziness. Both them and Capcom love to recycle all their old artwork and make "new" games. Now here we have SNK basically saying, "Meh... we don't feel like making our games 720p, so we'll just release them only for the Wii". Works out for the Wii, but screws all their fans that own 360s.

At least Capcom isn't quite as lazy. At least they are going to be releasing SFII as a Live Arcade game with 720p.

Edited by Thraxen

I didn't mean to imply that they should be Live Arcade games, I just used the Live Arcade games as an example that I don't think MS has any bias against 2D games. But they do insist on 720p... even all the Live Arcade games are 720p.

So it seems to me that the blame for the games not coming to the 360 lies completely on SNK and their laziness. Both them and Capcom love to recycle all their old artwork and make "new" games. Now here we have SNK basically saying, "Meh... we don't feel like making our games 720p, so we'll just release them only for the Wii". Works out for the Wii, but screws all their fans that own 360s.

At least Capcom isn't quite as lazy. At least they are going to be releasing SFII as a Live Arcade game with 720p.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. First off, the graphical quality standards (which include the difference between 2d and 3d) for the 360 are almost definately different for Live Arcade games vs. retail store games. It's probably harder to pass a 2D game as a retail release, even if it's 720p.

Secondly, even if 720p is the only thing holding them back, I'd hardly call it "laziness" on SNK's part. Nevermind that it's MS that demands 720p, converting or completely redoing graphics, especially 2D sprites, for 720p requires a lot of labor that isn't free. SNK, or any company, has to decide which titles on what platforms to allocate their limited resources to. If it would take just 2 developers to port assets to 720p, SNK has to decide whether or not it's worth taking those 2 developers off of a game that's nearing completion for release on another system, or budgetting another 2 employees. What you're calling "laziness" was probably pretty well thought out. They know more about their profit potential and their system-specific demographics than we do.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly.  First off, the graphical quality standards (which include the difference between 2d and 3d) for the 360 are almost definately different for Live Arcade games vs. retail store games.  It's probably harder to pass a 2D game as a retail release, even if it's 720p.

Secondly, even if 720p is the only thing holding them back, I'd hardly call it "laziness" on SNK's part.  Nevermind that it's MS that demands 720p, converting or completely redoing graphics, especially 2D sprites, for 720p requires a lot of labor that isn't free.  SNK, or any company, has to decide which titles on what platforms to allocate their limited resources to.  If it would take just 2 developers to port assets to 720p, SNK has to decide whether or not it's worth taking those 2 developers off of a game that's nearing completion for release on another system, or budgetting another 2 employees.  What you're calling "laziness" was probably pretty well thought out.  They know more about their profit potential and their system-specific demographics than we do.

No, they're most definitely lazy. You merely need to look at they way they recycle artwork to see that. Even 3D game devs need to make hi-res textures. Why can't SNK? The simple answer is they can, they just don't want to. Hell, just do it the cheap way and simply scale everything up. It won't look as pretty as something initally drawn at a higher res, but it should get the job done.

The bottom line it that SNK and Capcom have been sliding by for years recycling their artwork in their fighters while every other dev on the planet has been moving forward with the times. They really only have a fairly small hardcore audience left and this is largely their own fault for not keeping their games fresh and moving forward like everyone else and it's about time they start.

Edited by Thraxen