Request for Testing (Internet Radio Client)

Grey

Alright, sorry... My cable company and I had something of a disagreement yesterday on what exactly an Internet Service Provider was. As a result, I've been without internet access for a day (although it was partly my fault. Well, mostly). Anyways, I have a new version of Dissonance here that is ready for primetime.

After carefully examining the problem in a few different internet cafes yesterday, I determined that the problem is most likely happening because the connection is just dropping after a while. That is, the socket is no longer connected to the stream's source.

My solution to this problem is to use non-blocking sockets, and wait for up to a second to recv data from the server. If nothing is found after a second, the connection is dropped, and I establish connection again. So when it happens, you are going to hear a few seconds of garbage, but it will sort itself out in the end.

I don't think that there's honestly anything I can do about this at this stage of the game. The same network code I'm using on my DS works just fine on my Linux test app. Which leads me to believe that this is a library problem. So... I'm lifting the request for secrecy, as there's not much else I can do with it right now, besides making the other stuff better (see the TODO list for planned features, not sure when I can get around to them though).

Anyways, for those of you with good connections, I hope that this is useful. :) (I'll try it out at my University later, which is my real concern).

EDIT: Inferno, I am well aware that my buffering system sucks. This release is just to say "this works". Next release might do things a little nicer, such as pausing when buffering, and starting when buffering is finished, just like a real music player. There's a long way to go, and a lot of code to write... But I'm pretty sure I can do it. :D (Again, not sure of the timeframe on that though)

EDIT2: Just had a look at sgstair's checklist. Seems that the relevant bugs are:

# TCP connection closing errors (working on this)

# Latency issue, something is causing the lib to have higher pings after a while (unclear on what causes this, but I have a few ideas, I'll look at it.)

# TCP loses data apparently when rx buffer is filled (probably fixed, testing.)

# possible bug with recv not returning data it should, will look into this (unsure)

# check/fix blocking TCP recv (next release)

When these are fixed, my app should function much more closely to as advertised. :(

Edited by Grey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, well, I just tried the latest version.

I'm running GBAmp witha 256 MB card, flashme v7. I get the top screen to list "connecting via WFC data"

"connected successfully!"

then, nothing. The bottom screen is white, and nothing happens after this... am forgetting something?

I tried to download your first release, andran that, and it worked..or at least, I think it did. as soon as it booted up, it listed something on screen, then played some audio flawlessly for the few minutes I had it on.

Any ideas?

edit: after running the first version again, maybe I wasn't getting a stream fterall. I got the same blip of audio as before, it seems to repeat istelf. the bottom screen lists "decoding error 0x0101" and the top screen is white.

Still no luck with the newer versions.

Edited by GrupstraNDS

it have been playing for.. hmm.. 15 minutes now? no problems so far :(

I must say, we're really seeing some -very- interesting apps for the DS lately, yours being in the top league too :D .. msnds, internet-radio.. all sorts of good apps :)

Please keep working on this, its so awesome, and I'd like to see it become even better :)

Does anyone know why it doesn't seem to work with my flashed DS and GBAmp setup? I get a coonected successfully message after it loads, a white screen on bottom, and after a few seconds, the text on top disappears, and nothing seems to come out of the speakers...

Any ideas?

Does anyone know why it doesn't seem to work with my flashed DS and GBAmp setup? I get a coonected successfully message after it loads, a white screen on bottom, and after a few seconds, the text on top disappears, and nothing seems to come out of the speakers...

Any ideas?

Might seem like a silly question, but do you know that the sound works? Have you tried it in another program? Also, it's kind of quiet on mine...even with the volume all the way up I need to move it close to my ear to hear it at first.

hehe, yeah the sound works fine, I was just playing NSMB and also watched some videos in moonshell with it.

I tried the original version of it just now, (dissonance, that is), and it played a song, however, it only looped about 30 seconds of it, so that much worked.

On this new version, though, nothing seems to play. I'll plug in headphones and see if I hear anything, though.

edit: still nothing. Tried headphones, and even hooking it up to my computers speaker system via a line in and audio cable, and still nothing. Everything has sound though, tested several other homebrew apps.

Must just be something on my end. Perhaps my router is blocking a port or something odd?

Edited by GrupstraNDS

WOW

Works here (GBAMP, flashme v7) but it seems like the connection is really reaking quite a lot :|

I have t say, this is probably the kind of wifi app I've been waiting the most!

Keep up with the good work!

Cheers

Bafio