The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion thread

Mag

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's crude, but if anyone else using this trick crashes trying to enter the sewer, hitting tilde (~) and entering the cheatcode "movetoqt" will fix you. It'll put you at your quest target, which my system was able to load. The crash error may occur elsewhere, but at least this'll let you wander more.

And thanks a ton Cinder!

Update:

Ok, that doesn't work all that well. I still crash when I leave the building. HOWEVER, setting bDoImageSpaceEffects=0 allows me to enter the sewer. It also allows me to exit the building that "movetoqt" sends me to, however the outside world is really ugly, and crashes after moving around a bit. I shall continue to poke at settings, and thanks again for finding this trick!

Update 2: Setting bDoImageSpaceEffects=0 seems to make indoor areas work fine. Outdoor areas not so much. Most terrain appears as large blocks of solid color, water is a transparent purple volume, and oblivion crashes to desktop before anything can be accomplished without fail. It seems to happen when you cross a certain invisible line in the terrain, but more research will be required.

Edited by Daeval

It's crude, but if anyone else using this trick crashes trying to enter the sewer, hitting tilde (~) and entering the cheatcode "movetoqt" will fix you.  It'll put you at your quest target, which my system was able to load.  The crash error may occur elsewhere, but at least this'll let you wander more.

For the love of Vivec, please don't use the middle line!!!

bUseWaterShader=1

Change to

bUseWaterShader=0

No more crash when entering the sewers. :banghead:

Turn bDoImageSpaceEffects=0 back to 1 and see if everything goes back to normal. It's not shader dependant and your card should be capable of it.

You may also be able to enable some of the PASS options for a cleaner look. I know I can't on my 8500, everything goes black.

I wish you better luck than I've had, exiting the sewers is a big NO for me, no matter what settings I change in the INI. Looks like I'm presented with the true reality of upgrading, too bad my bank account disagrees.

For the love of Vivec, please don't use the middle line!!!

I thought it'd be better than just deleting the old, no longer applicable, text. Guess not. Bonus points for the Morrowind tie-in. :banghead:

bUseWaterShader=1

Change to

bUseWaterShader=0

No more crash when entering the sewers. ;)

Turn bDoImageSpaceEffects=0 back to 1 and see if everything goes back to normal. It's not shader dependant and your card should be capable of it.

You may also be able to enable some of the PASS options for a cleaner look. I know I can't on my 8500, everything goes black.

I wish you better luck than I've had, exiting the sewers is a big NO for me, no matter what settings I change in the INI. Looks like I'm presented with the true reality of upgrading, too bad my bank account disagrees.

Yeah, I looked on the hideously unorganized post at elderscrolls.com and found to turn the water shader off. That got me through the sewer segment, but outside is still hit-and-miss. I find I can run around as long as I stare at the ground while I'm moving. Not much fun, but I was able to get to a town area and talk to some people and stuff. Oh well, it was a fun demo while I await my new system. ;)

Forums are offline for maintenance atm, but check there again, Atomizer released a newer version of his pixelshaders. Things look much cleaner. He also posted his INI which is useful if you can't get things to work right outside.

Theres also a hacked EXE that fixes some bugs with crashing, namely TAB with Diffuse enabled, so lighting actually appears somewhat properly now.

I also discovered that with all the shaders enabled, you can cure the uber dark dungeons by opening the console and typing "ts" to turn the sky ON/OFF.

With it ON outside, and OFF Inside, shaders/lighting are ok.

Well, the funniest thing just happened too me.

I got a bunch of Legion soilders to aid me to take back a city that starts with K. The archer did some friendly fire and suddenly the city gaurds attack them and killed them.

Free loot!

I don't get it really. In other news...

Maybe this is old news, but I think I found a trick to the lockpicking system:

Close your eyes.

I'm serious, there's an audio cue that is MUCH more accurate than the visuals. When you hit the tumbler, there is a "plink," but when you get it into the right position there's a subtlely different "ka-plink" sound. You still have to time the click right, but it's a lot easier when you know what to listen for. As an added bonus, it feels really zen when you can close your eyes and pick a Hard ranked lock at a 15 security without breaking a pick.

Yeah, the audio cue is much more easier to tell when to crack locks. Now do it to a very hard one.

Satisfaction is totally zen!

It is a better method but I havne't gotten it down perfectly yet. I must practice more.

I want to get the Skeleton lockpick which is an unbreakable pick and it adds 40 (or something like that, not sure exactly) to your security. You can get it by completing the Nocturnal Shrine quest which is north of Leyawin. You have to be level 10 though. I'm only level 6 so I still have a ways to get it.