The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion thread

Mag

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heads up, just tried this on my current setup eariler today. Oh man, looks pretty sweet on Medium. But next week, it's m'fin high!

I should post the screenshot I took, but prntscr is being a bitc h.

What's your rig?

Current rig:

Overclocked 9800 Pro 371/412

NewCastle 3200+ @ 2.5GHz

1.5GB of some nice PC3200

Plays nicely on medium @ 1024x768.

For anyone who was wondering.. no, it won't work on a GeForce 4 Ti. The card doesn't support "Pixel Shader 2.0" and so everything is shades of white. With enough acid this might be fun, but I didn't have that much on hand so I installed an FX 5200 that one of my roomates had lying around and now it should work.

It's a damn shame though, my Ti4600 beat the pants off of everything for years, including this 5200, but its just missing that stupid pixel shader. It was the little card that could, man. It ran Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 without a hitch. When a man known for making 3d engines says a card will last you years, as Carmack did for this thing, he damn well means it. A eulogy for a video card.

Update:

For the record, no, the FX 5200 didn't cut it. Textures were shown, but you could measure the frames per second in seconds per frame. The funny thing is, the all-white version ran pretty smooth on the Ti4600. Ugh. Time for a new system.

Edited by Daeval

I think you need to tweak the ini in order to take screenshots

In case anyone doesn't know, here are the instructions again on how to take screenshots in Oblivion, it is slightly different than Morrowind.

1. Open Windows Explorer.

2. Open your 'My Documents' folder.

3. Open the 'My Games' folder.

4. Open the 'Oblivion' folder.

5. Look for and open the 'Oblivion.ini' file. (Use Notepad for this, if prompted for a program).

6. Look for the line: 'bAllowScreenShot=0

7. Change the 0 to a 1 and save the file.

8. Restart the game.

9. Use the PrintScreen key for taking screenshots. (Normally next to the F12 button)

Well, it looks like I'm possibly stuck with not being able to play this game unless I at least upgrade my graphics card.

Runs fine with no complaints, and very smoothly even. Only prolem is, textures aren't drawn, so everything is white. To the point where I can't see much, certainly not enough to play.

I'm going to play around with the INI some and see what I can pull off, I've got it forcing 1x pixel shaders, but that isn't helping anything.

Any assistance regarding texture settings in the INI would be appreciated, if it weren't for my graphics card this game would be running pretty well on here, albeit without mucho eye candy settings.

Hehe, for starters I was editing the default INI in the Obvlivion directory (Ooops, edit one in My Documents > My Games > Oblivion)

I got it working though, yes!

Now, instead of linking you to the 2 messy ass threads that I read through to get things working, I'll briefly explain and provide links here, you can ask for more help later if need be (But keep in mind I'm still playing with my setup)

First off you need this. Just unpack it somewhere and run it, hit ok and it'll run in the background (I believe it's a pixel shader modifier that live injects modifications, w/e it gets the job done)

Then open up your INI and find this:

bDoSpecularPass=1

bDoDiffusePass=1

bDoAmbientPass=1

Change to

bDoSpecularPass=0

bDoDiffusePass=0

bDoAmbientPass=0

-----------------------

You can also change

bUseRefractionShader=1

to

bUseRefractionShader=0

if you like, see what works best for you.

---------------------------------

If TatniumD3D complains

This program could not be started because d3dx9_26 could not be found.

Then download this and put the DLL in Oblivions directory (Where Oblivion.exe is)

Have fun, and play around with your INI to achieve the best settings for you. I know I will be.