Best Kind of Linux?

Alpha

Okay guys, soon I'll be reformating this piece of junk computer. What I want to do though is dual boot Linux with it. The problem is there, there are too many versions of Linux. What version do I go with? Is Linspire (formally Lindows) any good? Help me out here, you Linux fan boys. :blink:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your new to Linux I would also recommend Ubuntu,

it's based on Debian with the same Packet Manager => easy soft installation.

But at the same time it's easy to install Ubuntu itself.

And you can get free copies of it at no charge ( https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ ).

but it may takes some time to be shipped.

Edited by nxg

If you want ease, then Ubuntu all the way.

HOWEVER, if you're technically versed and want the most stable and efficent linux you'll ever use (as well as have alot of time on your hands) then you use gentoo

i warn you though, gentoo is NOT user friendly, UNTIL you install a gui for it yourself.

and even then at first it's not user friendly, but after that, unless your HD physically crashes, you probably will never hafta install it again.

I'm a big fan of knoppix. The newest version has support for read/write of ntfs drives. On top of that, the whole distro is bootable/runnable off of a cd/dvd.

HOWEVER, if you're technically versed and want the most stable and efficent linux you'll ever use (as well as have alot of time on your hands) then you make your own distro

Fixed.

I'm a big fan of knoppix.  The newest version has support for read/write of ntfs drives.  On top of that, the whole distro is bootable/runnable off of a cd/dvd.

Ubuntu is live also. At least mine are. I got both in 32 and in 64bit varity. They ship the Discs fo free!