What game do you think has the best storyline?

Diso

actually, and i dunno how valid my arguement is here, but

Silent Hill one.

The game was made to be a nightmare simulator, the story was supposed to follow a nightmare like quality, i feel tthat the story PERFECTLY fit the nightmare theme. (i know some are going to be asking me, WHAT story, but there was one; a vague one)

I wouldn't call Silent Hill's storyline(s) vague, you just really have to pay attention tothe dialogue and read between the lines at times. Each installment looks at the base material from a different angle or starts where an other one left off.

Creepy. One of my all time favorites

My point was, the story wasn't supposed to really make sense, and was supposed to confuse you, and it accomplished that perfectly.

exactly like a nightmare.

at least in silent hill one

Well yeah, you got that right. :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No game NEEDS a story. It's ludicrous to believe stories are unimportant? OK. So Virtua Cop is crap, Sega Rally is crap, Gradius is crap, Marvel vs Capcom is crap, Crazy Taxi is crap and every other game without a story is crap? I must have found Ikaruga sh!t because I didn't pay attention to the story and I must hate Tekken 2 because I ignored the story when I first played it.

I clearly said there were exceptions. In fact, half the games you listed fall under the categories I mentioned. But in virtually ANY case (including the categories I mentioned) a good story makes a game better. Period. No debate possible.

Story is absolutely unimportant. Darts is a game and I don't dislike it because it doesn't have a story. games are to be played not to f__king listen a bad plot.

Absolutely dead wrong. From that view technically no movie needs a story either. You could just open up with a bunch of people running around, shooting stuff, etc... with no story at all. But, like games, a story makes it better. Some games, like RPGs, virtually require a good story to make them enjoyable. And, as stated before, virtually any game can be made better with a good story. How the hell can you even argue against the immersive experience a good story can add?

Any Atlus game has a story that'll make you start touching and feeling yourself beyond your control and thus be caught masturbating like your life depended on it.

"MUST NOT STOP OR I'LL DIE!!!!!" *flapflapflapflapflap*

RE 1, 2, and 3. All SH. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, Half-Life for damn sure, etc. upon my saying.

Street Fighter 2 (and others in series). Because there was no story unless you really wanted to know it.

The story didn't get in the way and if you wanted to find out the stories behind the characters, they were awesome.

BTW - stories in games are not important.

YES! That is absolutely correct. I wish more people would think that way. For me, the plot just has to be plausible enough for the gameplay mechanics.

Not that I don't enjoy a game with a good plot but there are other factors more important to make a game good. I think a good plot is only necessary in RPGs. But it's not really the plot that is necessary, it is the story telling mechanics. A good game developer can take a simple aliens attack Earth plot and make it an engrossing epic (Half-Life) while bad ones just use boring cutscene exposition.

Very well said Gryph, I agree totally. Anways my favorite would have to be Shenmue serious by far.

No game NEEDS a story. It's ludicrous to believe stories are unimportant? OK. So Virtua Cop is crap, Sega Rally is crap, Gradius is crap, Marvel vs Capcom is crap, Crazy Taxi is crap and every other game without a story is crap? I must have found Ikaruga sh!t because I didn't pay attention to the story and I must hate Tekken 2 because I ignored the story when I first played it.

I clearly said there were exceptions. In fact, half the games you listed fall under the categories I mentioned. But in virtually ANY case (including the categories I mentioned) a good story makes a game better. Period. No debate possible.

Story is absolutely unimportant. Darts is a game and I don't dislike it because it doesn't have a story. games are to be played not to f__king listen a bad plot.

Absolutely dead wrong. From that view technically no movie needs a story either. You could just open up with a bunch of people running around, shooting stuff, etc... with no story at all. But, like games, a story makes it better. Some games, like RPGs, virtually require a good story to make them enjoyable. And, as stated before, virtually any game can be made better with a good story. How the hell can you even argue against the immersive experience a good story can add?

Films are like books, they tell stories. A videogames purpose isn't to tell a story. How the frig do you not know what the word game means? They are about interaction.

One reason I love retro games is because they didn't get bogged down with shittin out a story to shove on the end of their games.

EDIT: OK then, there is no argument for thinking stories DON'T make games better. So how come we are having one. How come I dislike Metal Gear Solid more than I would if there was no story? How come one minute I am playing through a game and the next I am watching a third rate film? How come a sequel to my favourite fighting game doesn't include one of my favourite characters just because the story tells me that a character has wandered off or has died (Namco thankfully ignored the story when they said that the God of Fighting killed Baek, Wang, Lee and Bruce etc and now they are back - game design over daft stories)? How come MGS1 is all set in one repetitive facility because that's where the story takes place, rather than being mission based woth lots of gameplay and environment variety? Stories can make some games better, but they can also completely ruin them.

And the ultimate argument against stories - Why the f__k would I want to listen to a story told by complete nobodies who only include them because they think games NEED them. Written by pathetetic technical minded game developers who don't know jack sh!t about creativity. If you have any sense, you are just cringing with each line and event. If the game developers could make films they would be doing, but they have to settle for including their crap stories in a medium they have no respect for.

My first post said that stories can make some games better by including back stories and motives for the characters (fighting games and others). These add depth to each character and therefore the game because people can look into the back stories. Games shouldn't thrust stories down our throat (MGS) as if the story is the only reason I bought the game. People bought the GAME because they wanted the game, not the story. When MGS 2 was announced magazines detailed what the game looks like, what new moves Snake has got, where he goes etc, because this is the game. They didn't list plot details because it is a pointless side issue.

Playing is about playing, watching is about watching, why include both?

Edited by hi_resurrection