Best messenger?

Robert

I use just plain old AIM w/deadAIM. All my friends use AIM, so there's no point in registering for all the others for me.

I long for the heyday of ICQ, before AOL bought it and it became bloatware. ICQ used to be a mean, streamlined little thing, but now it's all hideous. I miss offline messaging. Stupid AOL.

I want mozilla to make a messenger with the same principles they used with Firefox. Something with a really tiny footprint, a really simple, but fully functional interface, and perfect plugin implementation.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a nice IM client then I suggest you try out GAIM. It looks plain but it's quite flexible. Ever since ICQ quit working on Trillian (I even updated and that didn't fix it) I use that for ICQ. The best part is that if other people you know use it, you can use some hardcore encryption.

Just started using MSN...better than AOL but I don't chat much so.....it would be better to just be parked in the IRC channel and use trillian Robbbert. I'm gonna give Trillian a go though...I only use MSN since alot of ppl use it and I chat with my sis at work.

If you want a nice IM client then I suggest you try out GAIM. It looks plain but it's quite flexible. Ever since ICQ quit working on Trillian (I even updated and that didn't fix it) I use that for ICQ. The best part is that if other people you know use it, you can use some hardcore encryption.

The ICQ not working in Trillian 3 is the reason I still use the last 2.x Pro version.

Aim: pop ups

yahoo: great fun

msn: microsoft?? no thx

trillian: set it up and ur good to go

Ok I've downloaded the trillian as axl suggested.

I'll install it in a while. Now you must remember I know absolutely totally zero about this stuff.

So my n00000000b question is, how do I register myself on MSN, AIM etc ??

u have to go visit the AIM's site and if u have an msn account u should be able to use that ( i think)

Aim has pop ups? I've been using it forever, and while they did run one ad with popups (a browser window would appear if you mouse-overed the ad bar), it was only around for a while and hasn't shown up in the rotation for a long time.

Anyway, I use AIM because it's what everyone I know uses. There's no point in switching to a multi-network program if I'm only on one, and it doesn't 'cause problems. Granted, I hate AOL and would love to dock them the few cents a day they get from running ad banners on me, but it's not worth it to me to fix up another messenger.