Tecmo Sues Hackers

February 9, 2005 - Tecmo has initiated a lawsuit against individuals associated with ninjahacker.net, a web-based forum which hosted discussion on hacking into videogames, including Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden and the Dead or Alive titles for Xbox. The hacks made game characters appear nude, among other modifications.

The suit, brought in a Chicago federal court, names site administrators Mike Greiling from Eden Prairie, MN, and Will Glynn from Davie, FL among the defendants, as well as a number of unannounced individuals. Among the charges are copyright infringement, circumventing copyright protection systems in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and passing off and unfair competition in violation of both federal copyright law and the laws of the State of Illinois.

The defendants are accused of "hosting and contributing content to a forum created to foster and facilitate the knowing infringement of Tecmo's proprietary software for its video game titles," according to an announcement made by the company today.

"We are known for being a technological leader in the video game industry, and we clearly support and respect the innovations which push the boundaries of gaming. However, we believe it is our duty to uphold the integrity of our work," John Inada, General Manager for Tecmo, said. "Hacking of this kind will not be tolerated and we intend to take all necessary measures to protect our intellectual property."

Tecmo is seeking injunctive relief against the defendants, as well as damages.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=5820

This is pretty stupid, Oh well I was never fond of Tecmo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too similar to the nintendo vs game genie case held so long ago.

tecmo will lose, or just force their vic... the site to go bankrupt from legal bills and fold.

edit:

this was on the ninjahackers.net site:

This website and it's contents have been taken offline as of January 25th 2005.

As you may be aware, Tecmo has filed litigation against the administrators and members of this message board, alleging copyright infringement and other claims. If anyone wishes to contribute money to be used to help pay for defense of the lawsuit, please click on the following link:

Note that this money goes towards the website administrator's attourney fees, but anything extra may be given out to other forum members who need it.

(you can ignore the part where it asks for your shipping info... i'm not selling anything, so it is irrelevant)

Edited by Elazul Yagami

too similar to the nintendo vs game genie case held so long ago.

tecmo will lose, or just force their vic... the site to go bankrupt from legal bills and fold.

edit:

this was on the ninjahackers.net site:

This website and it's contents have been taken offline as of January 25th 2005.

As you may be aware, Tecmo has filed litigation against the administrators and members of this message board, alleging copyright infringement and other claims. If anyone wishes to contribute money to be used to help pay for defense of the lawsuit, please click on the following link:

Note that this money goes towards the website administrator's attourney fees, but anything extra may be given out to other forum members who need it.

(you can ignore the part where it asks for your shipping info... i'm not selling anything, so it is irrelevant)

Theres a difference between hacking hex files already in teh game, and to how editing, changing, replacing and cracking files on a game. This doesn't remind me anything of the N v Genie case at all because this actually modifies the game's content that infigies upon the stupid DMCA+DMCA on steriods acts in America and Europe.

Umm, thanks alot, you just boosted up reasons why gc should keep the no rom links act. :'(. Well, anyways, Tecmo sucks big bawls.....I hope the forum admids win and then file a counter sue of some sort for harrasment and whatnot, i know not much of law but I still hope this happens! If so , then tecmo will go bankrupt , and no more 3 button fighters :banghead:.