512 cable slow why

alexis

i dunno why but today the whole day my inet connection was slooow  and i am on 512  :D

why why why  :)

It could be that your ISP was heavy in traffic, or that there were problems with the cables. Also, on my DSL plan, once we download over a certain limit (10 gigs in this case) they slow down our connection exponentially the more we download. Maybe your ISP has a similar deal. If you're on wireless, there could be a lot of other reasons.

my speed was about 256k in the best case

i sometimes felt i was on 56k

This might be a bit technical because it's from my CCNA (cisco certified network admin.) semester,

But it should explain it better then i can in english :lol: (and yes this text is about lan but it is used for any digital bandwidth connection)

Bandwidth is the measure of the amount of information that can move through the network in a given period of time. Therefore, the amount of available bandwidth is a critical part of the specification of the network. A typical LAN might be built to provide 100 Mbps to every desktop workstation, but this does not mean that each user is actually able to move 100 megabits of data through the network for every second of use. This would be true only under the most ideal circumstances.

Throughput refers to actual measured bandwidth, at a specific time of day, using specific Internet routes, and while a specific set of data is transmitted on the network. Unfortunately, for many reasons, throughput is often far less than the maximum possible digital bandwidth of the medium that is being used. The following are some of the factors that determine throughput:

* Internetworking devices

* Type of data being transferred

* Network topology

* Number of users on the network

* User computer

* Server computer

* Power conditions

Edited by xeno

isn't it true that if a lot of people is watching something on cable like a football game , and that will slow ur connection??

Yeah, supposedly the more people connected to a line in a neighborhood the slower it will go. My cable isn't that fast since almost everyone down the street has it.

My cable is for my own use only and no one else's cable near me affects it. Most people use this kind of a cable here nowadays.