Who's better? Capcom or SNK?

Who makes there games better? Capcom, or SNK?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i prefer SNK because its never the same, often times people must re learn there favorite characters unlike capcom and in general from playing these games all over the world, its seems like people whom are really skilled in 2d fighters in general just prefer SNK

Well...all honor to SNK, but that's simply wrong. Just look at the six billion King Of Fighter Games. In my opinion it would be totally okay to release one game every 2 years, instead of producing unbalanced and incomplete stuff like KOF.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i prefer SNK because its never the same, often times people must re learn there favorite characters unlike capcom and in general from playing these games all over the world, its seems like people whom are really skilled in 2d fighters in general just prefer SNK

Well...all honor to SNK, but that's simply wrong. Just look at the six billion King Of Fighter Games. In my opinion it would be totally okay to release one game every 2 years, instead of producing unbalanced and incomplete stuff like KOF.

I agree completely if SNK releases a KOF every 2-3 years. Due to this "yearly" releases it's hardcore fanbase argue which KOF is the best amongst all the other KOFs. I kid you not. This also leads me to believe the reason why there isn't alot of tournements on KOF Stateside. This also is one of the reasons it is not at EVO. Because it's fanbase cannot unite under one banner.

Yap, I agree. And another problem is the one, that they're losing credibility as producers. It just seems like they only want to make a bunch of bucks - either its a high quality game or its not. This is exactly what leads to the points you already mentioned.

Well, its true , SNK should stop making the same godamn game every year with 2 new additions added every new game, and whats up with the DUAL boxes, the EB down here are selling KOF 99/2000 and KOF 2001/2002 for like $30 each.

Well, its true , SNK should stop making the same godamn game every year with 2 new additions added every new game, and whats up with the DUAL boxes, the EB down here are selling KOF 99/2000 and KOF 2001/2002 for like $30 each.

Well selling two for the price of one is more attractive to the customer than selling just one for the price of one.

Well selling two for the price of one is more attractive to the customer than selling just one for the price of one.

Rumor has it this was also a requirement by Sony, who was/is trying to discourage 2D. KOF2002 was originally supposed to be a single release, but the rumor is that Sony wouldn't grant them the "official" rights if there weren't two 2D games on the disk. It's fancy 3D graphics that sell to the mass market these days, unfortunately. Just look at the XBox: for a long time, "Halo" and "Better Graphics" (which meant 3D) were its only big draws (I worked retail through that period, unfortunately).

And I don't mind the yearly releases, as long as they're quality. Unfortunately, they're not always, but I'm not sure it's just the release schedule to blame. SNK has been going through some major BS for the past.. what, 4 or 5 years? If not longer. That had to have some effect on the overal quality of the series.

In my opinion, they're doing a good thing trying something relatively new with NGBC. With any luck, it will be the phoenix from the ashes on Atomiswave that everyone's hoping for, while KOF:Neowave and KOF:MI will just be stepping stones to more, new, and better things.

Capcom had the right idea with CFE, but they didn't put enough effort into it to win them any new fans, or to rekindle any old flames really. If they had any interest in keeping 2D fighters alive, that's what they had to do, but I don't really think "they" did (they being marketing, primarily). However, there was talk of a Capcom vs. Sammy game in the works not too long ago, and I haven't heard anything about a cancellation, so who knows?

Random fact, Capcom of Japan doesn't really care about Street Fighter.

Christ, whats even more fscked up is there was more people working on PORTING VAMPIRES CHRNOICAL TO THE PSP THEN MAKING CFJ.

You think they didn't put their best into it? Come on, it's 10 people(add the new music crew, thats 13, add the udon artists and it's 23), not 25.

Like I said in my review, it only applies to the hardcore fanbase. Which even more so they said their hate towards it.

For those Rumors, their actually true, the main reason why MS3 didn't make it was because they said "Pack it with something or don't sell it," even with all the extra junk they put in. Same goes for SVCC and SSV. Why CFE/J made it? Well, no one can really answer that. Some hate it, some love it.

IMO SNK lost it's feel. Capcom rekindled it, but after selling it to Capcom of America, I can think either way, although it was a proper choice(Comics + toyline, that actually sell).

I won't get into a crazy discussion on why I hate them and love them. SNK died, Capcom screwed everyone over and GG just plain sucks now.

You think they didn't put their best into it? Come on, it's 10 people(add the new music crew, thats 13, add the udon artists and it's 23), not 25.

Like I said in my review, it only applies to the hardcore fanbase. Which even more so they said their hate towards it.

I meant as a company, in which case putting only 10 people on a project which could save your most cherished franchises is definately not putting your best into it.

And yeah, it appeals to those "hardcore" who love anything 2D, but they didn't take the extra steps to appeal to those "hardcore" that developed around the deeper gameplay in Third Strike and CvS2, etc. The latter is the group that bashed it. For the former, I think they were hoping for something more polished, but the most hardcore of that kind will still be wooed.

For those Rumors, their actually true, the main reason why MS3 didn't make it was because they said "Pack it with something or don't sell it," even with all the extra junk they put in. Same goes for SVCC and SSV. Why CFE/J made it? Well, no one can really answer that. Some hate it, some love it.

I remember hearing those things too. I'm sure CFE made it partly because Capcom has some sway. ("Devil May Cry 93 can always go to XBox, you know...")

IMO SNK lost it's feel. Capcom rekindled it, but after selling it to Capcom of America, I can think either way, although it was a proper choice(Comics + toyline, that actually sell).

I won't get into a crazy discussion on why I hate them and love them. SNK died, Capcom screwed everyone over and GG just plain sucks now.

Capcom lost its feel, took a while to get it back, but was able to come up with something new that caught on in the meantime. SFIII didn't really look or feel like any of the other SF games, especially not the then recent Alpha series, but it worked on a smaller scale. The comics and toyline are closer to the original feel, although they haven't tried to move that back into the video game arena yet.

SNK is like a bad video game boss. No matter how many times you think its dead, it comes back as some twisted version of its former self. They're still around, and in a lot of ways they are stronger than they were a few years ago, but their identity has changed, for better or worse.

A year or two ago, I would have said yeah, they're dead, forget them. They were struggling to keep the properties they had inherited fresh, and were walking a fine line between mutilating the classics and falling too far from the tree. With their recent and upcoming releases (SvC:Chaos, KOF2k3, the PS2 re-releases, NGBC, the new Metal Slugs, SS5, and even the experimental KOF:Neowave and MI), I see them moving forward with a new and far more confident identity, and one that is definately alive and kicking. For a while, they've been a snake stuck in its own dead skin, an akward and at times downright ugly sight, but they're starting to shed it and will come out something slightly different. It will be a new SNK, whether we like it or not.

See, that's why I missed you K', you were good for a helluva rant. :(

I grew up with SF but i got tired of it....then a few years ago (thx to emulation) I got to play the KOF's. I whish I'd discovered them earlier. I like SNK's characters and game mechanics over SF.

Edited by Sturmvogel