Pacers Brawl With Fans During Pistons Game

Alpha

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons (news) on Friday night, forcing an early and ugly end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

capt.dtp10511200423.pacers_pistons_dtp105.jpg

The game was stopped with 45.9 seconds remaining when a pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands after fans began throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

"It's the ugliest thing I've seen as a coach or player," Pistons coach Larry Brown said.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, the Pacers were pelted with beer, ice, and popcorn as they made their way to the locker room in one of the scariest brawls in an NBA game.

The Palace announcer said the game was being stopped and pleaded with fans not to throw things.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest.

Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest lay on his back on the scorer's table.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a cup thrown from the stands. He jumped up, and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Fans were punching back, and Jackson and another teammate joined Artest in the melee. A Pistons player came running into the crowd.

Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Indiana's David Harrison were also in or near the stands.

As the crowd roared, drinks and debris showered the court and the Pacers players covered their heads as they hustled through the runway leading to the locker room.

This is all over TV...this was the crazyiest thing I've ever seen. If I were one of the fans I'd try to get purposely hit in the face... each punch = $1,000,000 :(

It looks like the Indiana Pacers who were looking to win a championship will be have serious suspension chargers to many of players and be perhaps banned for the rest of the season. (Go Lakers! :D )

PS: You can see Ron Artest's jersey..trust me that his neck is not that big because of all the fans pulling on it. :banghead:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports are bad, mmmkay? :D This is exactly what sports fans look for, too. Teams getting pissed and beating the crap out of each other.

We were actually discussing the similarities between Rome and America, and the topic came to sports... The teacher talked about the Gladiatoriums where people fought and got killed for others entertainment. People were given sports so they wouldn't criticize the government. Then he told us to go down to the local bar on Sunday and watch all the Nascar fans to see when they cheered. It was when someone crashed. Americans are entertained the same way the Romans were. Are they entertained for the same reason? Will it have the same result?

Edited by LordKanti

hope the fans got in some good shots. I would love to kick a pro ballers ass. 7 figures to throw a ball through a hoop and they can't even act right.

What is wrong with these people? It seems that celebrities are always in the tabloids, not so much because of the great things they have done, but for the bad.

And this is what people like to see apparently.

hope the fans got in some good shots. I would love to kick a pro ballers ass.  7 figures to throw a ball through a hoop and they can't even act right.

I was going to reply, but you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

They get paid far more than anyone who really contributes to society, to do something millions of people do for fun, and they've got the self control of a street thug. Not all of them are that bad, I'm sure, but the situation is ridiculous.