WWE: Smackdown vs. RAW

Mag

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Online (Dis) Connection

You see, as cool as it may have sounded to get the online feature that I always wanted, it didn't quite turn out the way I had hoped. Because unlike most of today's other prominent sports titles, be they Madden, NBA Live, or what have you, WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW doesn't offer any type of supplementary online content whatsoever. So while most competitive broadband users out there are used to such features as Internet gaming leagues, automatic ranking systems, downloadable content, and multiplayer support beyond just two players, SmackDown offers none of that -- providing instead, a simplistic two-prong option for either wrestling in a singles head-to-head match or a females-only bra and panties bout.

Regardless of what kind of match they choose to play, however, gamers will never be able to track their win/loss records, defend created belts online, wrestle in tag-team and specialty matches, or even protect their pseudo-identities -- as the GameSpy-powered Interface doesn't allow players to save permanent IDs sever-side. Perhaps most disappointing of all, though, is the fact the broadband-only setup doesn't support USB headsets, only keyboards while in the lobby area.

With a diagnosis like that you can see why it's pretty disappointing to finally go online and match up against someone else -- it isn't quite the experience we're used to. But to it's credit, SmackDown's online interface is extremely easy to use, almost entirely lag free, and offers a hefty selection of rooms to choose from when in search of your appropriate skill level. As smooth as the online play is, however, it just isn't enough to make up for its lack of features. At least it's there, though, which is whole lot more than I can say for last year's version.

Review

Edited by IxI SoNiK IxI

I just found out earlier, when checking out the video review from GameSpot, I guess I won't be getting this, since this is just the 5th smackdown game with a few dossage of voice over and little enhancements.