[4/25/04] Painkiller

Game: Painkiller

System: PC, Xbox

Emulators: None

This game is pretty unique for a First Person Shooter (FPS). Its almost a mix of old FPS qualities with a new game. You start out as this mysterious man, who is on his way to celebrate with his wife/girlfriend for her birthday, but on the way there, a horrible accident occurs. Now to reunite with his lost love, he must serve god as his personal hitman (strange huh?) You play as "heaven's hitman" and must destroy 4 leaders of Lucifer's army for the big man himself.

paink4.jpg

The weapons in this game can be pretty unique. Your main weapon is a claw hookshot type weapon, its really useful, exspecially at the beginning. Each weapon has a primary and alternative fire like most FPSs. Weapons range from a shotgun type weapon, to a grenade launcher, and many different ones inbetween. The game is seperated into 5 different chapters, each chapter has 5 levels to it.

paink2.jpg

As you can see from the screenshot above, the game can get quite bloody, but I'm sure we don't have a problem with that, I mean, c'mon, were serving god himself here :-D. In each level, if you meet a certain requirement, such as collecting a certain number of gold or destroying all objects, you can unlock tarot cards. These cards will give you powers along the way, and you can activate each one for the next level before it starts. The cards do cost money to use though, but don't worry, you can collect gold as you go through each level. To beat each level, you must defeat all the enemies in the level. This makes the game somewhat easy because the enemies don't shoot that much and try to get in your face to slash you up. Usually by the time they get anywhere near you, they are a pile of gibs on the ground.

Anyways, this game is pretty nice for an FPS, I'd give it a shot. I'm still working on the game and am not that far, but I'm kinda hooked until I get something better I guess. You may want to rent it before you buy it though, always give it a try first. I've seen the game for about $39.99 even though its new. The price will probably drop $10 soon.

Speed - 8.0

Gameplay - 8.5

Graphics - 9.0

Sound - 9.0

Overall Score - 8.6

Grade - B

Overall, this game gets a :lol: from me.

logot.jpg

Edited by Rag

*cough warez it cough*

Not be offensive or anything, but the game is buggy as fsck, the controls are horrid. On an overall scale, it has everything it needs to be scary, it's just missing that spark to BE scary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen any bugs, the controls are standard fps controls and it runs really smooth on my not-really-high-end system.

Anyway, this game is great, normally I don't play FPS that much but this is great oldschool fun. Highly recommended if you like shooting everything that moves and fighting insanely huge bosses with heavy metal music in the beackbround :lol:.

I am enjoying it intensely too, for the reasons Sane said above, and because the gothic aesthetic in the game is so strong. Creep church music in between fight scenes, dark imagery and symbolism everywhere...I love it. I really like how you can hear chains or metal clattering as your character walks, too. The game can also be quite scary.

Edited by Basara

• 4 weeks later...