PS3 to use Blue-Ray Discs!

heres the article from gamespot:

PlayStation 3 to use Blu-ray Disc

Sony hopes the move will help jump-start the market for the new high-storage format.

TOKYO--According to Kyodo News, Sony officials announced today that they will use Blu-ray Disc technology in their next-generation console, most commonly referred to as the PlayStation 3. Sony revealed its decision at a press conference held by the Blu-ray Disc Founders (BDF), an organization committed to developing and standardizing the next-generation optical disc format. The BDF also used the occasion to announce that it will finalize the specifications for the read-only version of Blu-ray Discs (BD-ROMs) by September 30.

Sony has been investing heavily into Blu-ray product development and was the first company to have a disc recorder on the market. The company had previously hinted that it may use the format in the PS3. Sony's Blu-ray Disc R&D division chief Kiyoshi Nishitani commented in an interview with Asahi PC magazine in March that the company would like to establish ground in the Blu-ray Disc market by adopting BD-ROMs for its "home video game console."

The Blu-ray Disc Founders organization is composed of Sony, Panasonic, and 11 other major electronic makers. Like its predecessor, the DVD, the BD-ROM will primarily be used for movies. The companies plan to start marketing Blu-ray Disc playback machines (without recording capabilities) by the end of the fiscal year.

Sony is relying heavily on the Blu-ray Disc format, so the use of Blu-ray as the market standard in next-generation media is vital, especially since the company also publishes movies through its Sony Pictures subsidiary. Adopting the Blu-ray Disc for the PS3 should help spread use of the format, similar to what the PlayStation 2 did for DVDs.

Early expansion of the Blu-ray format would be ideal for Sony, considering it will have to compete with high-definition DVDs (HD DVD) in the future. Blu-ray Discs can hold 25GB on a single layer and 50GB on the dual-layer discs, while HD DVD discs--which have yet to be released--will hold only 30GB on a dual-layered disc.

Sony said it will reveal more details on the PlayStation 3 at a premiere event in Japan on March 31, 2005. The console will also be on display at next year's E3 in Los Angeles.

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe a hdd loader will come out for ps3 since it's so hard to copy blue-ray disc

So far... No. They are using Blu-Ray for that fact; that they are incredibly difficult to copy.

There could still be a loophole if they make it backward compatible and/or play DVD movies. The thing will obviously be networkable, so you may end up seeing a situation like you have with the XBox now. PC DVD drives can't read and rip XBox games, but you rip the games by having the XBox do the ripping itself and send the files over a network to your PC. Then if it can read DVD movies or PS2 games, it may be possible to burn the games to a DVD and play them on the PS3. Now if the games are huge it may still impossible, but I bet many will fit on dual-layer DVDs and dual layer burners will be everywhere by then.

its already been said i few months back that it will be backward compatible with ps1/2.

as for dvd movies i'm not sure but i'm gonna guess that it will be added since they are planning add it to the players coming out late in the year

I don't know about the PS3 games, but all the Blue Ray movies are going to have a new content scrambling system, called ACSS. I expect that it will be cracked within the first year or two of the blue ray discs becoming mainstream. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Johansen did it (He's the one who cracked CSS when he was 15 years old).

See, I don't know how the hell is the backward compataibities is going to work because it uses a completely different, new, type of CPU, unless they add the PS2/PS1 cpu chips somewhere.

From what I heard, Sony has gathered a lot of people to actually write a PS1 and a PS2 emulator as a part of PS3's kernel. If that's the case, the PS3 does not have the actual hardware of the older systems, like the PS2 did.

Edited by Agozer