get xbox ?/

Jjangthekid

i was planning on getting a game console. the first one that i ever got was nes and snes and that was when i was 7-8 yeras old and chose the nes over snes!! :).yea well than i got ps.. and sorta got broke and i threw it away..and so this be my 3rd console.(if i get one)..what should i get ps2 or xbox? what are the pros and cons for both..

thanks in advance

[edit]: hmm maybe i should have posted this in current affairs..this could get very biased..... :D

Edited by Jjangthekid

Possibly :lol:

But anyways, I personally would recommend XBox. I may be biased as I have one, but here is my reasoning:

After modding your XBox:

That old PS1 of yours that broke? You can emulate the PlayStation quite well on a modded XBox.

NES? SNES? Genesis? You can emulate every game you ever owned for those systems and more on the xbox quite easily.

Ever played an N64 or want to play one? The n64 emulator for the xbox is (in my opinion) the best n64 emulator out there. You can emulate Goldeneye, Smash Bros, Mario64, Battletanx, etc all full speed and with only minor emulation errors (depot on goldeneye has scrambled floor, few sprites on smash bros like cursor and shield messed up)

With MAME-X you can already emulate tons of arcade games, and with Kawa-X/FBAXXX you can emulate neogeo, CPS1, CPS2 games as well. Even better, an update is planned for another version of mame that may allow all of the above arcade games to be played using the same emulator.

Got a gameboy or gameboy advance? You can emulate both of these too, even emulate two gameboys split screen with 1st and 2nd player controls and link them.

With the S controllers you already have decent controls hooked up for all those emulators.

Best of all, aside from the very most recent XBox released, you can mod the box without ever even opening it up!

Who says the Xbox doesnt have as many games as the PS2? :D

(there will never be a gamecube or ps2 emulator for the XBox though, so don't be expecting one)

On the biased side, the XBox does have better hardware than the PS2 by default and I believe you get a better framerate / better effects than the PS2 for most games. Also, you can go online with the xbox either via XBox Live for money, or XBConnect for free.

roofus

I just want to get an xbox for the sole purpose of completely turing it into a PC with Windows XP.

i was planning on getting a game console. the first one that i ever got was nes and snes and that was when i was 7-8 yeras old and chose the nes over snes!!  :D.yea well than i got ps.. and sorta got broke and i threw it away..and so this be my 3rd console.(if i get one)..what should i get ps2 or xbox? what are the pros and cons for both..

thanks in advance

[edit]: hmm maybe i should have posted this in current affairs..this could get very biased.....  :lol:

Why dont people ever use the search?! This is like the 4th time this topic has been brought up, look, it's this simple.

Xbox is only worth a crap if it's modded, but then it's no longer crap but the shizz nizz

Ps2, has good exclusive only games and a good controler but the crappist fps controler ever, but anyways thats that.

hey roofus,

On the biased side, the XBox does have better hardware than the PS2 by default and I believe you get a better framerate / better effects than the PS2 for most games

I'm no sony fanboy but i have to disagree. In terms of raw poly and sprite pushing, I have yet to see any better effects on any system than the fully integrated 60fps cel shading of Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner (and that game came out in 2003). Rendering 450 mechs on one battlefield at 60fps with cel shading and weapon effects is quite an accomplishment.

Regardless, i would go with the ps2 because you simply get more value for money. I have't been buying new ps2 games recently (the most recent one was Virtual On: MARZ) but i say grab a used ps2 and pick up these five great titles for less than $20 each:

1. Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner

2. the original Devil May Cry

3. Capcom vs. SNK 2 (i don't care what you fanboys think, in the words of EGM the xbox 'joypad feels like a canned ham')

4. Virtua Fighter 4

5. Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance

If jiang is on a budget i see no better way than this to catch up with modern, next-gen gaming.

Unless you intend to spend the extra bucks and knowledge to mod your Xbox, then don't bother. There really aren't that many great games for it compared to the PS2.

If you are lookin' to mod it, then definitely get an Xbox as you'll probably end up using it more than the other consoles once it's modded. Just be wary of the current 1.6 Xbox that's floating around as it's a little bit more difficult to mod and some chips don't have BIOSes that work on it yet.

I have modded a 1.6 with a Xenium ICE and it was more work than what it was worth. I like my Xecuter 2.3s :lol:

So unless you're buying the Xbox ($179), HDD ($100~$200), and Modchip ($40~$50) and lookin' to get it modded, don't bother and get either a PS2 or a Gamecube.

hey roofus,

On the biased side, the XBox does have better hardware than the PS2 by default and I believe you get a better framerate / better effects than the PS2 for most games

I'm no sony fanboy but i have to disagree. In terms of raw poly and sprite pushing, I have yet to see any better effects on any system than the fully integrated 60fps cel shading of Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner (and that game came out in 2003). Rendering 450 mechs on one battlefield at 60fps with cel shading and weapon effects is quite an accomplishment.

Regardless, i would go with the ps2 because you simply get more value for money. I have't been buying new ps2 games recently (the most recent one was Virtual On: MARZ) but i say grab a used ps2 and pick up these five great titles for less than $20 each:

1. Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner

2. the original Devil May Cry

3. Capcom vs. SNK 2 (i don't care what you fanboys think, in the words of EGM the xbox 'joypad feels like a canned ham')

4. Virtua Fighter 4

5. Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance

If jiang is on a budget i see no better way than this to catch up with modern, next-gen gaming.

I have no choice but to agree with what you have said. 2nd Runner pushes the PS2 to it's limits. :lol: And it looks fabulous to boot. Devil May Cry....oh yes.

But since this is the Bill-BOX forum... jjangthekid, get the Bill-BOX if you feel like it. It's a good system. Sure, I'm in the Playstation camp myself and would like nothing more than seeing you get a PS2, but hey....it's your call.

Xbox $150, softmod (I'll do it free if you're in SoCal), stock HDD is 10 gigs which is good for emulation. You dont need a bigger HD unless you plan on pirating large amounts of ps1 games or ripping xbox games to your HD.

PS2 does have a much larger game selection, but I would look at the games for both consoles and see which one has more games you enjoy. Sure the PS2 has more games, but if they are games you are not interested in, nor will you buy, why buy it? With a modded XBox you can really have hundreds of games loaded up on there for free. Now that's what I call value.

I still stand by what I said about the hardware being better, which it is. However, it often isnt what kind of hardware your console has, but how you use it. A weaker console with a well designed game that makes use of polygon decimation techniques will look better than a poorly designed game on a more powerful console.

eh, to summarize: if you are looking into this because you plan on buying games for the system, see which system has more games you want to buy or rent and get that one. If you want a gaming machine and are interested in emulation, I would recommend the XBox.

roofus