Demand For A Linux-installing Tutorial?

Would you like to see a nezumi-authored Linux tutorial?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if this would be better in the PC Support forum, then the mods can move this thread on over there.

Anyways, I was just curious if you guys would like for me to take a crack at writing a linux installing tutorial? I've noticed only two posts by the same guy (Agozer, I think) in the PC support forum concerning Linux issues. Only two? I know some more of you have probably been giving Linux a thought or two... If a quick installation guide would be enough motivation, I'd be happy to give writing one a shot.

Of course, I wouldn't stop with installation. I'd have after-installation sections with stuff like "What can I use for [situation]?" and "How would I go about [achievable.goal]?"

So, please reply. I want the Yes's and the No's on this one in order to grasp where most of you stand on the matter.

ive installed linux on my system before... it gave me more hassles in 2 days than windows has ever given me... i wouldnt mind dabbling into it again but this time id make my system dual boot... theres so many different versions of linux out there, which would your guide be for???

There's tons of Linux documentation at www.tldp.org. If you're going to write one, it should be something original, and not something that rehashes an existing HOWTO.

Anyway, the most difficult parts about installing Linux are the disk partitioning and file system creation stages. Once those are taken care of, the rest of the installation is not too different from a Windows installation.

I would agree on the disk partitioning and file system location things. Took me 2 days to figure that out.

I guess it would be useful for others that want to use Linux but I don't want to use it anymore because I couldn't play many games on it. All I do on my computer is play games, listen to music, and watch pr0n. Windows XP will suffice for those basic activities. Unless Linux can enhance those activities (specifically the pr0n) then I must pass. :lol:

I guess it would be useful for others that want to use Linux but I don't want to use it anymore because I couldn't play many games on it. All I do on my computer is play games, listen to music, and watch pr0n. Windows XP will suffice for those basic activities. Unless Linux can enhance those activities (specifically the pr0n) then I must pass.  :lol:

People use Linux because they want to be cool and want an alternative to Windows. Sure, you're reason for not using it is the same as mine....but Linux is like a breath of fresh air in a stagnant sea of bits. :lol:

I say do it, just for the sake of people who come here.

Partioning and filesystem stuff never gave me any woes.

The only problem I ran into was the fact that I had to compile my own kernel module for my video card drivers, the ones that came with my Linux distro would not work, X wouldn't work properly using em. That was a chore and a half, cause I'd never had to compile my own kernel module before.

yeah why not, i guess that the most difficult thing is to get used to th elinux world when you are used to windows, most of the people htink linux is a crap just because they can´t unleash it´s potential and are use to fancie proggies

the gaming issue is definately one I'll be touching on... I've gotten all my windows games working under Linux here, the only problems being the lacking framerates in directdraw games like Diablo2 and Starcraft (I've read up, and believe my solution will come in the form of getting earlier versions of WineX from CVS and installing them alongside my current version).

It re-occured to me today why I moved to Linux in the first place... although I'm doing everything I've done under windows (with the exception of vector graphics... I'm trying to stop pirating stuff, but Illustrator is the tops for vector graphics), everything is faster and generally more solid. Yeah, I'm a little annoyed by the middle-click-to-paste thing, and although I can do stuff with the GIMP that I could in Photoshop, I can't do it nearly as fast (klunky interface).

Then there's the infinite benefits of having a command-line interface underneath all of these pretty desktop environments... it's no problem to SSH into your box from somewhere, fire up a text-based browse, see that there's a neat package available here, download it with wget, or fire up a *.torrent using bittorrent's ncurses-based interface. With windows, you'd have to go through the trouble of setting up a VNC server (which isn't much trouble at all), but good luck using VNC over a dialup connection.

So I think I'll write this tutorial, and when it's finished it'll go up in the PC support forum (and maybe it'll get stickied, who knows). It's gonna take a while though... I may be in trouble if I can't get a-hold of some income soon.