How To Install Win 98/linux Over Xp?

alexis

i have xp pro installed and want to install windows 98 and linux.

i have linux mandrake 7.1 i also made a linux partition but i can`t install it i don`t remember why but it is related with something abou tthe partition i can`t eithe rinstall iwn 98, i have partition magic 8 and i am willing to listen and to work hard. i try to instal it trhough partition magic option but when doing all the stepts there always is some kind of error and the i end up with 3 or 4 unfinished partitions.it shouldn`t be that hard >=(

:lol::P:lol:

:(

remember that windows 98 MUST be installed on your FIRST active partition for it to work right.

then you must install Windowsxp on your second(logical) partition or hdd.

both windows cannot be together on one partition.

maybe it will mean that you will have to reformat your hdd to make provisions for two partitions <_<

Incorrect, you can install them on whatever partition you want. It's the order you install them that matters. If you install XP, then 2k for instance, this will overwrite the boot loader with an older version and XP won't boot.

As for Partition Magic erroring out, look up the error code. It's most often due to a severely fragmented drive etc that errors occur though. Scandisk and defrag before altering partitions.

i used power quest bootmagic7. and it says you can only install win98/me on the first partition/first hdd. otherwize it won't work. check it out if u have that application <_<

I've actually been able to have both Windows ME and XP on one Paritition. XP is the 2nd OS on it. I have also been able to do it with Windows 2000 and XP, and XP again as the 2nd OS. So it's very well possible.

Yeah, it's possible but not recommended, as you could confuse yourself and mix up files in your Program Files and documents folders for instance.

As for HAVING to have Win 98 on your primary partition, I will say again, no you don't.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"

That is my BOOT.INI, and it could be altered to support 98 on say my E drive for instance by doing this.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\Windows="Microsoft Windows 98 SE"

You only have to do what anything tells you you have to, if you don't know what you are doing. :P

well i guess i won´t have the chance to try this right now i screwed everuthing, not even xp will install just linux

heh i feel like some kindof satisfaction notmany people can accomplish that i guess

well i guess i won´t have the chance to try this right now i screwed everuthing, not even xp will install just linux

heh i feel like some kindof satisfaction notmany people can accomplish that i guess

why don´t you get VM Ware?, you can run win98, linux everything you want as a window under xp or any other OS you have, i friend of mine has it and it was amazing to see those OS running under xp. If you are interested let me know.

thianks, i know and i already have it, it is just that ididn`t want to emulate it but to install it.

Some time ago i already post it a guy reduced win98 to about 40 mb and even to 20mb and i wanted to reproduce it in a way