Games That Pissed You Off ?

and kim... one moment your standing or kicking  and his sprites look incredible... next your moving and your back in 94...  Kyo and Iori too... they are still Using most of there 94 sprites... just re-edited to look smoother or different (in kyos case).

Those aren't new to KOF2003, those were in KOF2002.

But I agree with the rest of your post. :(

^^ just so you know... they DID add some new animation for Kim... some of his kicks... Which btw, aren't up the the Level of his stance resolution....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it's still an improvement. Overall the sprites this year were medicore. If you didn't know: Terry's sprite is a resize of his Garou one to make it more KOF-like, same thing with The Griffin.

The reason they don't create new sprites by scratch each year is to save on money. It costs alot to maintain, and devs will do anything to cut their job in half to develop games while still keeping the game interesting. Capcoms been doing it for years and no one's bitched about that? Yet people do it with SNK? It's strange.

Edit; Publishers publish the game for the market. Making the game is more of the developer's side.

Edited by K`dash

At least it's still an improvement. Overall the sprites this year were medicore. If you didn't know: Terry's sprite is a resize of his Garou one to make it more KOF-like, same thing with The Griffin.

The reason they don't create new sprites by scratch each year is to save on money. It costs alot to maintain, and devs will do anything to cut their job in half to develop games while still keeping the game interesting. Capcoms been doing it for years and no one's bitched about that? Yet people do it with SNK? It's strange.

Capcom doesn't re-draw animation for the same character on a completely different level....

and them just resizing the animation, i didn't know that... but honestly, garou looked nothing like kof... how can the publishers just throw something together like that? not only is it incredibly lazy, but it's sad... i've seen mugen programers make far better characters working from stratch...

EDIT - and capcom isn't using the same animation from the first SS for the new ones...

Edited by Nusumenai

Once again, developers, Publishers don't care how teh game is made as long as it's finished.

And once again, it's to save money. You know how much it costs to completely change each character? Quite alot. Even if it's 2D. They pay the artists more money to create the new sprites on newer pallets for the project. More overtimes and such is into consideration. You think I want new sprites too? I want some new sprites, they shouldn't do a completely half-ass job. And Capcom has been reusing sprites with barely no improvements unlike SNK. So be thankful that we even have a KOF at all. And all their hard work is being took into consideration. If that doesn't work. Do it your self.

Edit: Look at the new Capcom Fighting Jam game, Their using a decade old Darkstalker sprites. When you have Guile's CVS2 sprite and Ryu's SF3 sprite. Hauzer and Leo are resizes and Yun & Chun-Li are their SF3 sprite.

Edited by K`dash

and kim... one moment your standing or kicking  and his sprites look incredible... next your moving and your back in 94...  Kyo and Iori too... they are still Using most of there 94 sprites... just re-edited to look smoother or different (in kyos case).

Those aren't new to KOF2003, those were in KOF2002.

But I agree with the rest of your post. :rolleyes:

^^ just so you know... they DID add some new animation for Kim... some of his kicks... Which btw, aren't up the the Level of his stance resolution....

I knew that but it wasn't that much of an improvement.

I guess by KOF2007 they'll finish the new Kim sprite. :(

Hard work? They are just re-publishing the same game over and over again... they make changes, but then they are undone (strikers, max mode... power/def mode)...

I... i once heard someone post in a forum... kof95 is the best damn kof there is... at the time, 2000 had just been emulated... and i remember thinking... "that guy is stupid."

but now, looking how far kof has come... i realize he might be right...

Atleast in kof95, all the characters looked like they belonged on the same screen... There was no over detailed, or under detailed characters... the backgrounds matched with the characters. the music was nice and provided a good theme for team team... and the system didn't allow some characters to be able to overpower others...

Like I said, Do it your self. Don't like? Make it better. Now take your self in the developer's view and look at this.

You are creating your game, you have a deadline to make, you want it to be released for testing. So, you take a few parts from the old games, and resize them to make them fit in the game. Adding a few more details here and there to make it consistant with the character. You think thats not "hardwork?" It's plenty of work for those who have to go in there, make the sprite as good as it can by hand spending hours fixing, editing, and remaking the spirtes. It's hard as hell, you think that was easy? Let I remind you, you are getting paid, this is your job. Creating new sprites shouldn't be hard right? Wrong, what if your original design got rejected? Back the drawing board to create a new sprite animation. This is someone's job, not something they work on their free time like mugen who can have all the time in the world to make their character.

Lazy is when you take something from the older game and you don't edit it at all, hoping it fits in by it self. Thats what Capcom does.

Edited by K`dash

Thats what Capcom does.

and could you please give me an example of this?

Take the Alpha series... Sure, they don't re-do any of the sprites they just re-add whatever new animation they need... but thats only because they don't have to... all the characters, old or new in series all look like they belong in the same game... even the characters that were created in the 3rd installment.

So, capcom just added whatever new animation to existing characters (such as ryu), and kept the level of detail from newer characters the same as older ones...

and atleast capcom updates little things.. such as fireball effects... a lot of the kof effects haven't changed much at all =/

Thats what Capcom does.

Take the Alpha series... Sure, they don't re-do any of the sprites they just re-add whatever new animation they need... but thats only because they don't have to... all the characters, old or new in series all look like they belong in the same game... even the characters that were created in the 3rd installment.

So, capcom just added whatever new animation to existing characters (such as ryu), and kept the level of detail from newer characters the same as older ones...

and atleast capcom updates little things.. such as fireball effects... a lot of the kof effects haven't changed much at all =/

Example: The new Capcom Fighting Jam game. - The only new sprites you'll see is of Ingrid or any character from a 3D/Another 2D game other then Vs/SF Capcom game. Dimirti and Felica are using their DS sprite,

Guile: CVS2

Ryu: Looks to be like SF3, could be CVS2

Guy & Sakura: SFA3

Yun & Chun-Li: SF3

Hauzer & Leo: Resized, Red Earth sprites

SNK DOES update their sprites even if it's older, It's still an update. They do add new animations and such.

Just because I stated that Capcom does take sprites from older games and just sticks them in. You missed my statment completely. For 1, would you really think that capcom would use sprites from 1991 and 1989?? No, they redrew them to keep the game in the same art style. With kof, the style has been the same for 10 FRIKING YEARS. You think a majority of the players would notice if the spirte was from 95? No.

As for effects, please take into considering that KOF was made on 14 year old hardware.

Edited by K`dash

Thats what Capcom does.

Example: The new Capcom Fighting Jam game.

SNK DOES update their sprites even if it's older, It's still an update. They do add new animations and such.

Just because I stated that Capcom does take sprites from older games and just sticks them in. You missed my statment completely. For 1, would you really think that capcom would use sprites from 1991 and 1989?? No, they redrew them to keep the game in the same art style. With kof, the style has been the same for 10 FRIKING YEARS. You think a majority of the players would notice if the spirte was from 95? No.

As for effects, please take into considering that KOF was made on 14 year old hardware.

As i was talking about the effects, i wasn't asking for 3d high res effects... I just simply meant, if K' can have really nice looking flame effects on his attacks... whyd does kyo have to be using the sames ones from 96 in his attacks?

It's just stupid to have athena in 03 using the same pink fireball she has been using forever, but at the same time have the newly edited robert using a fresh new fireball.

I like that pink fireball though :unsure:

Anyways, when devs are up to it, they'll make better sprites, since SNK is now developing their KOF games on Atomiswave, we can hope they'll do some dramtic changes.

Reusing maybe lazy, but it saves money. Money is time when you developing a game. The bigger the budget of the game, the more we expect from it(same like movies).