World Agog At Google's New 'free Email Service'

ForceX

Sites around the world are abuzz with the news that Google is to launch an email service. The new service apparently builds upon Google's legendary search capability along with giving each mailbox up to 1GB of storage space, which can store up to half a million pages of email. The killer concept being that you never have to throw an email away again.

According to Google founder Larry Page, the service was spurred by a user complaining about email services. 'She kvetched about spending all her time filing messages or trying to find them,' Page said. 'And when she's not doing that, she has to delete email like crazy to stay under the obligatory 4MB limit. So she asked, "Can't you people fix this?"'

Gmail claims to make email faster and more efficient by removing the need to file messages into folders, and by organising individual emails into meaningful 'conversations' that show messages in the context of all the replies sent in response to them and 'turns annoying spam email messages into the equivalent of canned meat.'

The New York Times reports that an internal Google study found that at $2 per gigabyte, the cost of storing that much data could be covered by advertising although this approach 'has engaged in an intense debate over how extensively to exploit the content of email.'

The business plan is to scan the contents of emails and add contextual advertising. So, for example, an email mentioning a particular band would have an ad promoting their CDs or concerts.

The NY Times says 'Many people inside the company are worried that users might fear that the content of their email messages could be used to tailor individual advertising messages'. It also worries that the email service 'could also put new strains on the extensive Google network of servers'.

Elsewhere, the San Jose Mercury News even claims to have seen a demo version of the service. It's report says that it 'appeared similar to a stripped-down version of other Web mail programs, with spam, sent-mail and other folders in the left-hand column. The service will automatically thread together related messages so users can more easily follow their email conversations. Text ads hug the right side of each message page, similar to the ad placement in search results on the Google website.'

Wired News opines that 'Gmail could force big changes at Yahoo and MSN. Currently, email is the most popular usage of the Internet. Yahoo and MSN rely on free e-mail services to generate traffic, sign up new users and goad them to reveal personal information that attracts advertisers.'

The Google press release with the heading 'Search is Number Two Online Activity - Email is Number One; "Heck, Yeah," Say Google Founders', is dated 1 April.

Holy crap 1gig of storage...thats awesome....I can finally get rid of my MSN email...hahahahha...

I wonder how much this is gonna cost Google.....Click Here to go to Google's new Email Service....<_<

Edited by ForceX

I wonder if that means you could send attachments of up to 1 gig in emails?

That is what I am hopin... *sends DC.ISO's...*

that would rock so hard! <_<

Nice.  I didn't read the whole thing, does it require payment?  I hope not...

Read the Topic!!! :D

World Agog At Google's New 'free Email Service'

Oh ya... hahah! Silly me.. <_<