Pc Freezing

Sane

I got a new 120GB hard drive 2 days ago for some extra storage. I really suck at everything to do with the insides of a PC so I had the store put it in for me. I run windows 98 se so I used fdisk to make a new partition and to format the drive. During the format my power supply was starting to smell and it got half burned but it still worked. Power supply was replaced and everything seemed ok again.

However now my PC keeps freezing up after a few minutes. It freezes up almost instantly when I try to access 'my computer'. Atleast windows does, when it freezes the mouse cursor can still be moved and cd and dvd drives can still be openend and closed but that's it. I thought it may had to do with the new drive so i removed the partition, made a new one and formatted it again but it didn't help.

I need to know what could cause the freezing. Could it be the new drive, perhaps not correctly installed? Or maybe my processor is near dead? I want to know some opinions so I don't get ripped off when I take it to the store to get it fixed.

My PC is a 1ghz celeron with MSI motherboard running windows 98 se. Also, I noticed during fdisk that the drive was only recognized as 50GB, but in windows it shows the correct size, this has to do with the bios as I understand it, but I don't think this could cause the freezing right?

I had the same kind of problem a while back...Miraculously, it went away after a while. Could some installed program be causing it?

Edited by Agozer

Do a Clean (deletes everything) install of Win98. I had similar problems with WinXP, but then I did a clean install and my computer was back to running speed in no time. I also run on Win98 sometimes (for old times sakes. RED ALERT OWNS!) and do not recive the problems like you. Also maybe your mobo cant support 120 GB (I have a 120 GB also, but only 111 GB is being read, I thought it was a problem with my board bios, and it was, the bios are fscked up now, but my computer still runs)

When you're computer freezes like you say it does, then its usually an IRQ conflict. Go into Windows in Safe Mode and see if it freezes. Then check My Computer to see if its recognizing all of your drives. Then go to your Device Manager and check the properties of all the devices to see if it says there is an IRQ conflict.

Another thing you can do is, unplug the new harddisk (you shouldn't need help with that) and start your computer. If it freezes, then its not the new harddrive's fault.

Alright, thanks for the advice people. I knew about the bios thing, but I didn't think it would actually cause the pc to freeze, just that it would recognize not all the space on the HDD. I'll try disconnecting the HDD to see if it still freezes.

Silly question, what key do I hold to boot up in safe mode?

Its either F2, F3, F8, or F10. I can't really remember. For Windows XP its F8 so I'll assume that to be the same.

If not, then try them all out. :-D

They added F5 also :lol: as the default one

P4 Pcs Tempreture Is Normally 39 Degrees.

My pc is 2.6C P-4 With 512 DDR Ram And 75 GB HDD.Along With GF4MX440-8X 128 Agp Card. :lol:

Huh? What about it? This isn't a post your specs thread... But thats a good temperature for you comp.

Hey Sane, before you mess with the bios, first make sure your hdd is fine. And I recommend you flash your mobo and download the latest bios.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Yeah I'm gonna check the HDD first, I think that causes it somehow since this all started after I put that thing in. And I'm kinda scared to flash the bios, I did that once when I first got a PC. There was a cd with it with a link to a page where you could update the bios, so I thought 'cool, I'll so that'. But something wnet wrong and the entire thing stopped working, like I turned on the pc and it did nothing at all even though the power was on. Had to buy a new mobo then :lol:.