Anybody using Windows 8 now?

Alpha

I've been on Windows 8 since January and I'm pretty happy with the performance thus far. It was however a major pain in the ass to upgrade from Windows 7. You need to really learn the ins/outs of your particular system before you begin the upgrade. Specifically, if you want to run Secure Boot via the BIOS, you need to also make sure everything, including your GPU is secure boot compatible.

One of my biggest gripes on Windows 8 is that I hardly use the Metro interface because I don't have a touch screen. If you want any semblance of a real start menu, you got to install something like Start8 or ClassicShell. A LOT of programs are not designed for Windows 8 yet. It took a few weeks to months for many of the AVs (AVG, Avast, Avira, Trend Micro, etc.) to make compatible versions for Windows 8 after it was released.

Overall though, the security, boot-time time, and speed are splendid. System stability is over 90% with my rig. However, I am noticing some minor issues in the event viewer, which my guess will be resolved after some more Windows Updates.

Anyway, anyone else on Windows 8 here? :kid:

Tried it, was inches away from ragequitting computing.

I like the extra security and snappiness, but the Metro interface makes navigation really difficult, especially multitasking.

'Start' apps mitigate the Metro issues and booting to the desktop, but priorities were clearly messed up when they forced that UI onto users of non-touch devices. Just adding an app store to Win7 for classic apps would've been a great change.

I've tried it at best buy on the surface pro, was not impressed.

The layout on it was terrible, the touchscreen was no better than my cell. When the store guy said try paint it crashed and he had to put it away. The desktop version I tried after that was a lot faster but was still not good. When metro starts it has a long hang that makes you think it froze. I'm sticking to win7 for now.

Tried it, was inches away from ragequitting computing.

I like the extra security and snappiness, but the Metro interface makes navigation really difficult, especially multitasking.

'Start' apps mitigate the Metro issues and booting to the desktop, but priorities were clearly messed up when they forced that UI onto users of non-touch devices. Just adding an app store to Win7 for classic apps would've been a great change.

It takes two seconds to get out of the Metro interface and use the classic desktop. Windows Key + D. Once you install a 3rd-party Windows start menu, you're as good as you were on Windows 7 with very minimal differences. The metro interface is really only good for people with touch screens and/or multiple-monitor set up (you can choose which monitor uses Metro).

The layout on it was terrible, the touchscreen was no better than my cell. When the store guy said try paint it crashed and he had to put it away. The desktop version I tried after that was a lot faster but was still not good. When metro starts it has a long hang that makes you think it froze. I'm sticking to win7 for now.

This sounds like it was running on slow to mediocre hardware. I have never experienced anything like that.

This sounds like it was running on slow to mediocre hardware. I have never experienced anything like that.

That's sucky since its the display models too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually been using it since the launch and I've upgraded all of my machines. I actually agree with Microsoft that the Start Menu was under-used, at least in my case, so it's removal didn't really bother me that much. I will say though that the "Modern" interface is god-awful. It seems like the only idea Microsoft had in mind was to make these applications as useless as possible and waste as much screen real estate on the least amount of information as they could. Virtually all of the apps are completely worthless and inferior to their desktop counterparts.

I've actually been using it since the launch and I've upgraded all of my machines. I actually agree with Microsoft that the Start Menu was under-used, at least in my case, so it's removal didn't really bother me that much. I will say though that the "Modern" interface is god-awful. It seems like the only idea Microsoft had in mind was to make these applications as useless as possible and waste as much screen real estate on the least amount of information as they could. Virtually all of the apps are completely worthless and inferior to their desktop counterparts.

I find it fascinating you didn't use the Start Menu that much. Honestly, I had to install Classic Shell (start menu replacement) as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8. Although, I got to say, Classic Shell's GUI is not as comparable to the original Start Menu -- specifically for quickly searching files.

And you're right about Metro, I don't use it. And I hate having to upgrade the apps that I simply don't use. It's a shame this is the direction that Microsoft is going and that the new Windows Blue (Windows 9) seems to be even more Metro'fied. Ultimately, I need to buy a cheap touch screen to even consider using it.

I should also say I feel that the boot time for Windows 8 is misleading. It loads Metro right away, but it still takes the usual time to load all the desktop software behind the scenes. If you don't know what I mean, press Windows Key + D, as soon as you get into Metro.

been using it on my Surface Pro. Win8 without touch sucks, Win8 with touch is GOLD.

I wish 1emu is optimized for touch experience :P

There is a touch skin for $30 here. Donate the money and I promise I will install it for you! :)