Help- Coinops 2r3 480i (was wrong @ 480p) via component?

sharpfork

Hello-

I'm exploring changing my XP based cabinet with a rotated/vertical 480p TV to a brain powered by CoinOps 2 r3 and am veryy happy with my progress so far. I have Coinops running via s-video on my 480 TV but can't make the jump to the "cleaner" component input. XBMC is running just fine but it seems like coinops is launching in 480i which my TV does not like at all.

I've found some threads on changing the resolution by editing default.xbe and mameox.xbe with a hex editor to output to old skool arcade monitors. None of these threads or guides talk about changing interleaving/ progressive scan. Can anyone point me in the right direction to make this change? I guess if it can't be done, that would be good to know as well. I really prefer the picture of component over s-video but don't want to keep digging if it is pointless.

For reference, I'll likely be bugging y'all about getting my xbox hooked upt to a 25" wells gardner original horizontal monitor under coinops 2 too. I really like this program and appreciate the development and support. Thanks!

Edited by sharpfork

Head over to the offical support Blog and ask the author BP :ph34r: if anyone knows he will.

Support blog? Umm, ya... I'll just post my questions as a response to postings- that seems super efficient.

I getting the sense that I've walked into drama around CoinOps2 around here.

If I only really need Mame, should I be looking at a different front end or just running some flavor of Mame on its own?

Head over to the offical support Blog and ask the author BP :ph34r: if anyone knows he will.

Support blog? Umm, ya... I'll just post my questions as a response to postings- that seems super efficient.

I getting the sense that I've walked into drama around CoinOps2 around here.

If I only really need Mame, should I be looking at a different front end or just running some flavor of Mame on its own?

Drama central is more like the it.... OK "support blog" is the wrong way to word it...

I dont want to get caught up in this war, and I have avoided it for 18 months... I was just trying to give you some friendly advise.

Its upto you what you do, What I ment was ask the author for support on his offical blog... "head over to the offical Blog for support" sounds better....

:wub:

I was just trying to give you some friendly advise.

Its upto you what you do, What I ment was ask the author for support on his offical blog... "head over to the offical Blog for support" sounds better....

I didn't mean to add to the crappy tone around here, "support blog" sounded snarky. 18 months of drama/ War eh? It is a shame that something so cool is muddied in personalities and drama. There is a ton of stuff that points folks this way for official support, I guess that is no longer the case.

Since I am only really needing Mame, is there a drama free mame build for XBOX with a decent front end and monitor rotation I should be look at instead of CoinOPs? If not, I guess I'll just go back to cheep AMD builds with XP for my cabinets.

Thanks in advance.

well the xtras people dont like support :ph34r: you have a few options the way I see it

Goto the blog

Risk bad info here

Risk even worse info elsewhere

this is all that remains sorry....

yes I know all support used to be here and everything points to it but in the end this place isnt a safe envoriment for dev now so it had to be removed as the offical place

I do notice most other sites now have alot of CoinOPS stuff...normally more than anything else....and alot pointed here....I only had one thread and others didnt like CoinOPS success as it directed effected there own worth...so came to the only place left the dev thread and wouldnt leave it alone...especailly around release times it went craze with the same people...anyways its a long story and now finished one

Sorry but its just the nature of the way things are now....its in control now just not here...we are trying a controlled move away from here to the blog and I reliase alot come for CoinOPS from many areas including xbox scene which is also owned by haters but now one of the most metioned things....but I never go...hopefully the controlled exit works again as it did the last time

for a drama free version of mame there are many....mameox....mame b6....neoraine good luck nothing even comes close but others differ....but a 2sec look for yourself will tell you all you need to know....I cant help you more than this its now up to you

Edited by Error404

Sharpfork, you have stumbled onto the tail end of a period of nastiness which should never have happened. I wish I could help you, but my experience of xbox is limited to the one my neighbour threw out and I rescued and it works, but I have no use for, and will be thrown out again in next weeks rubbish.

There are a number of ppl who hate the place, hate each other, jealous of each other, but yet cannot actually go. I've had to ban 2 of them, and some of the others have seen the light and either behaved or left. However there is one or two who just won't let bygones be bygones, and keep stirring up the dust.

As for your question, since nobody has actually helped you, I'd guess there is no answer for it. There is a stickied thread with a list of all emulators, perhaps one of them might do want you want.

there is answers :ph34r: just not the right place for support...as it was more than hinted there was and is easy answers....and I more than hinted that support here is shocking on stuff I find simple....but its want people wanted and im fine with it being that way

the answer is not to use the xbox dashboard 480p switching as that is what coinops grabs the options from...xbmc has its own and can override the eprom settings....you are using xbmc to drive the 480p by looks....

as I say im sorry its hard to handle this support as there are some other things it can be....but this is the mostly likey....but truely im sorry to say not the best place for support anymore as warned...and yes once again sorry about this but it was fortold alot and pushed down a road this way....I was one that didnt want it to go this way and talk about issues when I tried to stop this.....

other say they can offer support and I must offer them the benifit of the doubt as they dont like me telling them they dont know what they are doing but sadly ive seen this to be true....and it makes it worse to point it out....so if you MSN me ill be able to sort out your issues real time in a few minutes normally with no fuss

as hinted by robert ill bow out of support now... its you guys that ask questions and me feeling sorry for you guys that is holding the last bit now....but its time.....best of luck the blog will be going and soon you will directed there on the new builds

Edited by Error404

Since I am only really needing Mame, is there a drama free mame build for XBOX with a decent front end and monitor rotation I should be look at instead of CoinOPs?

OK to help answer the above question I would recommend CoinOPS2 R3 Standalone (I will PM you the link) That way you can add only the arcade stuff. I wouold still recommend upgrading the stock xbox HDD to a bigger one...

The rotate feature is in the options but is not something I never use...

I have a cab myself and would not even consider another frontend as choice as CoinOPS is hassle free and has great features like pixel perfect, HD quality video previews etc !

The only advantage to an XP machine is there are more games availible but there crap to play via a PC with all the loading, crashing, configuring etc to be honest.. over 2000 games is enough for me and CoinOPS plays almost everygame I love.

As for X-Arcade, I bought one of those and the xbox adapter but never used it.... A member on here Garcimack hacked a couple of pads I sent him for a small fee... His work is AMAZING and the response times are perfect. I would recommends sending him a PM to see if he is interested. Postage to France was about £12 each way and then a small fee of his choice. all in about £50 and well worth every penny.

I hope this is a more usful post and helps you to decide to at least give it try

PS if you only want to use your xbox in the cab and do not want to use it for nothing else then I know how to make CoinOPS your dashboard, but once you have its a bit of a pain to get the regular dashboard back if you want to update the games. If there was an FTP added I would scratch the XBMC frontend and just use CoinOPS in my cab as the dashboard.

Peace

Edited by ace9094

ive got alot of new cab features lined up :ph34r: as im building one and one is an ftp server...and ive started on the new XBMC CoinOPS again for my cab

I think XBMC intergration will seal the deal for a lot of people looking for an all in one solution...the only hesitation I have is will it bring out more issues with people like consoles did....and how to best get to who it suits with the least fuss

as we have seen.....the internet can be a wierd place

Edited by Error404

Howdy-

Thanks for the info. I got a couple of super nice PMs and gave an overview of my projects. I'm going out of town for a few days (camping no net) and will check in when I get back. this is where I am at:

Quick reply on my way out of town.

first off, Thanks!

I have two cabinets I'm working on:

#1 is an already setup cabinet with a 25" 480p CRT tv rotated vertically. It is currently running an iPac for joysticks, a USB trackball and a USB spinner all using the basic XP mouse drivers- nothing special. My current frontend is maximus arcade but I've also used Mala and others.

goals-

- to figure out if I can use my way overpowered dedicated PC for other uses and replace the brain with an XBOX

- to emulate mame with a decent front end. I don't need to customize it too much.

- to see if I can get the USB trackball and spinner working under xbox- I'm willing to buy a new trackball if needed.

- games= vertical only with titles through the early/mid 1990s.

- I'd like very clean video maybe using the "pixel perfect" settings

- I'll likely solder joysticks (I like to solder) and ditch the iPac

- nothing but mame (and Raiden if it isn't mame)

- id love to have a working coindoor but that isn't necessary

where I with the xbox so far:

- I have my 250 gig xbox ( I have a 500 gig one too) updated with the latest xbmc4xbox (no CPU or RAM modes)

- I have coinops 2 r3 plus some bonus packs I found installed and running great.

- I had to rin video via s-video since component does not work with my 480p only once I launch coinops. The video is fine and works in XBMC fine under 480p. This is the question I posted as I'd like to use component input instead of s-video.

- I have an old xbox to USB cable I made years ago- I plugged it in with a few mice. trackball, and spinner and none of them do a thing in the total of 5 minutes I've spent on this.

Cabinet #2 is a horizontal mounted Wells gardner old school cabinet I've yet to work on.

goals:

- xbox as well

- horizontal games only

- joysticks with 6/7 buttons.

- to see if the xbox will allow older fighters to run well

- I might swap out the Tv for the arcade monitor in the two cabs since the TV in the horizontal cabinet could play xbox games and do some other emus. this use case is secondary to mame

- to use my Jamma harness as much as possible.

- maybe to get one of these: http://www.coin-arcade.com/catalog/i22.html to simplify video and the JAMMA interface

- id love to have a working coindoor but that isn't necessary

- native arcade resolution

where I am with this one:

- I have the cabinet and an old crap JAMMA game working

- I have a 500 GB Xbox for this cabinet

Thanks you sooo much,

Sharpfork