Are games sucking more or are we just old gamers?

emsley

The downfall of gaming is due to the public's undying need for Hollywood CGI graphics. This day of age, people review or base their decision on buying a game based on the graphics of it. Insta-fail.

I really think the worst days for Nintendo were without a doubt on the GameCube.

The only reason this is even considered in the back of any gamers head is because of the original Xbox. Everyone jumped on the Xbox. Talked nothing of the Xbox. And when any game for PS2 or Gamecube came out, people would mention that the graphics weren't as great as the Xbox thus not meeting their standards. I remember when the remake of Resident Evil came out and hearing 2 guys in the store bitch about the game saying that it'll suck cuz it was on Gamecube (thinking that all the violence and gore was taken out because it was on a Nintendo system) and wishing it were on Xbox. In reality, games like REmake weren't even praised for how great it looked or played or whatever on the dubbed "Gaymecube". Just constant bitching cuz it was on that system. I've also heard nothing but bitching and complaining on the remake of Metal Gear Solid on Gamecube only because it was on that system.

I've said this before and will keep saying this till the day I die. FUCK GRAPHICS!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't see enough passion in games now.

The bottom line is money and core/older gamers are getting hit worse, sure we chose what we buy and i for one only buy A+ Titles or game genres Im really fond off.

I am looking to get a PS3 and a HDTV in december and maybe a DS - hell id like them all but going for what I like the look of and the games i can get.

What set this off for me was the recent play through of MW2 - I cant find one word to sum it all up but it is a mixture of disappointment/greatness/ and some hot shot market analyst saying "I told you so."

market analyst: This dildo is the best - I dont care what you say - Ill charge what I want and get it - you cant catch me out.

And how many movies feel so predictable now?

2 Kool dudes walk in a room full of nut cases and beat the shit out of them doing flips and shit.

Rambo didnt know ninjitsu...

I have lost count of how many movies I have watched lately where by city's are destroyed or famous landmarks are fucked up (cough 2012 - MW2)

The best game I have played all year is Batman Asylum - the best movie I have seen all year if I exclude eye candy is Gran torino with clint eastwood.

MW2 will just get stashed on my external hard drive unless one day I feel like playing multiplayer - but the last good multiplayer game I played was Battlefield 2. I remember flying my f16 through those tunnels at the aqueduct map and some guy running through probably thinking "Wtf?"

We don't see enough passion in games now.

The bottom line is money and core/older gamers are getting hit worse, sure we chose what we buy and i for one only buy A+ Titles or game genres Im really fond off.

I couldn't agree with you more. A lot of people actually call my scope in games very limited, but the reason for that is there are so many A+ titles I haven't played through at this point. If I still have A+ titles to work on, why would I even look at B or C games?

game ARE getting shittier, not only are they getting shittier but they are getting shorter and easier.

This is an emulation site, So I know I am right when I say we all play games from 20+ years ago, and most of us played them when they first came out. Can you name ONE game that has come out recently that you will still be playing in 20+ years? Even ONE!? What about 10 years? Five years? I can't even name one for 5 years. Except I guess counter strike, i've been playing counter strike for a long time first CS and now CSS, the funny thing is I haven't ever gotten real serious about it though, I just play it when I'm bored. It's convenient to play because it runs on most anything and I can just get it off steam. You don't have to concentrate or anything if you play Zombiemod which is nice, and when I want to do some slaughtering I play deathmatch crackhouse. I started playing it because a bunch of my friends played it but I haven't played with them in years.

Thinking back on the last 5 years of gaming, I can say that there are some games I would probably go back and play in 20+ years, but I would certainly agree that it would be a much shorter list than from back in the 16bit era. One of the big reasons is that a lot of today's games you play them and they are finished - there are no meaningful extras or anything else that would keep you coming back. It seems that despite the technological advances, games have actually become more linear and scripted.

I still have run through the Sonic series (original Genesis/Megadrive) on a normal basis. I've done everything possible in those games but I still enjoy them very much. A good game plus its nostalgia factor is awesome.

As of late though, I can name some games that were released recently that I may come back too eventually down the line, most of them however are MMO's. As for RPG's, I only enjoy them because I enjoy the act of grinding, not because they do anything spectacular in terms of advancement on the video game genre.

There are still a gazillion things that video-game companies haven't tried. Movies and comic's as well (but not so much on a mainstream level like a VG could today), its just that the companies releasing titles aren't going to risk anything in terms of profit in order to produce "art", it's not "art", its business.

Music, video games, movies, even art itself, are not complete forms of art today, they are mostly numbers for investors to look at as they produce more money.

game ARE getting shittier, not only are they getting shittier but they are getting shorter and easier.

This is an emulation site, So I know I am right when I say we all play games from 20+ years ago, and most of us played them when they first came out. Can you name ONE game that has come out recently that you will still be playing in 20+ years? Even ONE!? What about 10 years? Five years? I can't even name one for 5 years. Except I guess counter strike, i've been playing counter strike for a long time first CS and now CSS, the funny thing is I haven't ever gotten real serious about it though, I just play it when I'm bored. It's convenient to play because it runs on most anything and I can just get it off steam. You don't have to concentrate or anything if you play Zombiemod which is nice, and when I want to do some slaughtering I play deathmatch crackhouse. I started playing it because a bunch of my friends played it but I haven't played with them in years.

THe only games that reached that list for me were SPlinter cell CT(not sure if dats 5 years) and the old MArvel vs capcom! neva gets old.

The post he said, screw the business explanation but unfortunately you cant because even if someone wanted to do something "old school" they would on the back burner and barely get any love.

BOrderlands was a GHOST when it came out until dudes actually played it or rented it and then "OMG this game is really addictive" THEN BAM! Copies started blowing out.

Even with fighting games, omg i dont need to see my char's sweat, I wanna see him do something ridiculous out of the book instead of jus bouncing off da floor.

but fps is taking over and im already getting tired of fps, the only reason i polay shooting games is to use snipers, cuz i personally never get tired of some nice head shots.

I miss 2d so much, think of all da crap you can put into a 2d game thats wasted on graphics, but lets stop lying to ourselves this is the HD era so get used to it, or just keep playing indie games.

Hmmm, if you talked about games that i will still play after 5-10 yrs, Fallout 3 and Oblivion came to my mind. These two games are that good. As for PC, i love STALKER, Tie Fighter series. Heck, i even buy from eBa original for Tie Fighters. Never get old to me.

Oh, and every goddamn megaman series too ;)

DLC - What??? I have to cough up cash to add on PS3??? I alredy hate pay to play on xbox live. I'll bet it'll be cash to add for Final Fantasy XIII too.

As for games I'll still be playing when I'm a grandpa,

Castlevania SOTN - y'all know it

Final Fantasy - 3,7,9,10,10-2, and hopefully 13 + versus

Street Fighter - all of them

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 - Got the original PS2, Back up copy, and the PS3 version

Capcom Vs SNK 2 - love that game

I'll always play Half-Life and it's mods. I love 2D but if you ask me what my fave game ever is, it will always be Half-Life.

meh, I think it's about the same as it ever was. people like to remember the past as the good ol' days when everything was awesome. but there were plenty of shitty games back then too. if you don't like to pay for DLC, then DON"T. send a message to the devs with your wallet. as a rule I don't buy DLC except in very special cases.