Damn hooligans...

VT-Vincent

Well, I woke up Friday morning to a nice little surprise - my car was egged! Unfortunately, it's only 6 months old and this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Egg is pretty nasty, and if it's not cleaned off quickly it can easily eat away at the paint. Luckily for me, it didn't damage the paint job.

This brought me to a fun little weekend project. Since I don't intend on letting this happen again, I decided to set up a camera outside and keep it fixed on my car. I have a computer in the basement that's recording the feed. I can't wait to catch the little bastards in the act:

car-cam.jpg

Well, I woke up Friday morning to a nice little surprise - my car was egged! Unfortunately, it's only 6 months old and this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Egg is pretty nasty, and if it's not cleaned off quickly it can easily eat away at the clear coat. Luckily for me, it didn't damage the paint job.

This brought me to a fun little weekend project. Since I don't intend on letting this happen again, I decided to set up a camera outside and keep it fixed on my car. I have a computer in the basement that's recording the feed. I can't wait to catch the little bastards in the act:

Fixed. B)

Late last night, I think I may have actually seen who did it. Two kids walked directly down the road and stopped dead looking at the spot on the driver side where the car was hit (it has since been cleaned off). They stood there for a few seconds and turned back in the direction they came from. I could also hear a lot of talking on the feed, but I could only make out bits and peices. I am going to see if I can find some software to isolate the voices and clear out the cricket chirping and other background noise.

The funny thing is, I am actually trying to set this up as a web-viewable camera but I'm still working on the software end of it. The program that would seem to do what I want it to, Webcam XP is having trouble recording the video in anything other than uncompressed video. If I can get the WMV9 encoder working, I'll probably to go with that. For now, I'm just manually starting the recording at night with Hauppauge's WinTV application. Even with the MPEG-2 compression, the video still comes out to about 1GB per hour. B)

You need one of those high power directional microphones. Just get a cheap one because it will be good enough for this purpose. You will be able to hear everything.

Don't let them know your on to them at all until you catch them in the act though, you can't do anything with what you have now and it will be way funnier to see you burst out the front door with a baseball bat yelling and running after them B)

Oh man... my sister had some highschool drama in the past where our house got egged during summer and that shit dried up like glue. My dad fell off a ladder trying to clean that shit and injured his arm, which still hasn't fully healed because of the incident. I hope you get those fuckers man... cuz that shit ain't cool. Damn now that I think about it again it just pisses me off.

Seriously, catch that fucker.

I admit the situation infuriates me... these little douches have so little respect for other people's property. They probably can't even comprehend the value of something like this as they've probably never worked a day in their lives. The worst part about it is that all I can really do is set up the spotlight and camera to deter it from happening again. The police in this town are next to worthless unless someone is getting shot. Even with video evidence in broad daylight, I doubt they would touch it.

Also, I finally had a chance to take my car to get a good cleaning... and unfortunately, it did make it through the paint. There are several tiny chips in the paint where the egg impacted. I guess I can add this to the door with the ding in it (some idiot dented my door with theirs in a parking lot and it was only week 2 of owning the car).