Just came back from HELL

Alpha

I don't think I'll be opening up my computer again for a long time. I bought my PC pre-built and I recently bought 2GB of ram and a new nVidia graphics card. I haven't messed with the interior hardware of the computer for about a year. Everything was a PAIN IN THE ASS!

Before anything, I cleaned my PC with air dust cans for about a half hour, after almost a year. The PC was filthy with dust and it was causing parts in my computer to overheat.

First .... the graphics card.

I was trying to pull out the graphics card I previously had in there. For some reason only the left side of the card was able to freely come out of the slot, but the right side was stuck in there. I thought that since I've been having the card overheat constantly at 85 degrees celsius everyday (because of the dust in the PC), that maybe the heat caused it to get stuck. I even checked to make sure there was no switch or something that would release the right side. So I end up trying to pry the card out for almost an hour. Until finally I said the hell with it and proceeded to pull the card out from the left side until the right side finally gave. The card came out and I heard a snapping sound.

I then noticed a piece of plastic broke off from the motherboard. Previously unseen from my eyes was a switch that was holding the right side of the card inside the slot. I slightly saw it when I was trying to pull the card out, but I thought it was part of the graphics card itself. I even pressed it before and nothing happened. Now why the flock was it necessary to put that on the mobo? The only logical explanation I could think of was so the switch could keep the graphics card level, since sometimes they are quite heavy. Even then, it was ridiculous.

So now I wasn't sure if I broke my mobo PCI-E slot and I sure as hell didn't care if I broke my previous graphics card. Therefore, I went ahead and put in the new graphics card, pushed it in, and it went in without trouble.

Second ... the ram.

I was trying like hell to push in the ram all the way. I eventually had to place the whole computer horizontally on the table (yes, I was doing everything before with the case sitting vertically). Even then, I still was having trouble pushing in the ram through the slots so the switches would lock in. I probably pressed like a mad man. Finally one of them went in, then the next went in, and all four went in (includes two 512mb sticks of ram I previously had). It also took me about an hour to even realize that the lining of the slots were not symmetric and that the ram could only be placed in one way. I found that out when one of the ram sticks were rocking back and fourth when I tried pushing it in. But during the hour before... I think I managed to always put the ram sticks in correctly, because I never felt the rocking problem.

Back to the graphics card ...

I booted up the PC, while thinking I sure as hell am going to get a BSOD any moment. PC booted up fine... monitor displayed graphics .. that's good. I didn't install the drivers yet, so I booted into Windows, installed the drivers, and then rebooted.

Once the PC rebooted.. I then got a nice window from the Nvidia control panel that there is "Not enough power going to the graphics card and to make sure that the power cable is connected to the graphics card". Clicked on more information... "If power cable is not plugged into graphics card... you may damage your system". Ahhhh hell.... Yep. I forgot to connect the power cable to the graphics card. Shut down PC... connected power cable to graphics card. Booted up.

And now we're here ....

The PC seems to be working well. I checked the temperatures and everything looks good. All the RAM sticks seem to be reading correctly. I just hope I didn't destroy or harm the motherboard. Anyway to find out?

I think I learned my lesson to find a PC professional to do this shit for me next time. I seriously need more practice with this stuff or I must stay away from the hardware aspect of PC's.

I am amazed your computer still works :naughty:

Another thing to think about, how much power does your new GFX card need?

If your PSU is under powered you may run into problems.

I have a 700 watt power supply, so I don't think power will be an issue.

I'm surprised myself things are still working well. I probably pushed and pulled the motherboard more times than I can count trying to do all this crap.

I'm surprised myself things are still working well. I probably pushed and pulled the motherboard more times than I can count trying to do all this crap.

Its easy once you know, The parts are like a puzzle and once you know the puzzle it becomes very easy....

Well, my computer has frozen twice. It went unresponsive over night.. I clicked one thing and then everything freezes except the mouse. Alt-Tab works, but that's it. The programs won't fully load. I don't know what to do.

700w doesn't mean a damn thing, it's the 12v AMPERAGE that is important with respect to a component like a high end video card. 700w will deliver enough consistent current, but AMPS is how high power that current is.

It's recommended for the latest graphics cards to have at LEAST 40 amps on a single 12v rail PSU, or 30 on 1 rail and 16 on the second with a 2 rail PSU. Check out the label on the side of your PSU and check 12v amps. If you don't have at least 36 amps on 1 or more 12v rail, buy a new PSU or risk wasting money on that video card.

700w doesn't mean a damn thing, it's the 12v AMPERAGE that is important with respect to a component like a high end video card. 700w will deliver enough consistent current, but AMPS is how high power that current is.

It's recommended for the latest graphics cards to have at LEAST 40 amps on a single 12v rail PSU, or 30 on 1 rail and 16 on the second with a 2 rail PSU. Check out the label on the side of your PSU and check 12v amps. If you don't have at least 36 amps on 1 or more 12v rail, buy a new PSU or risk wasting money on that video card.

Such precise information.