XBL connection always required for..

Well one of my network cards died. I had 1 going to my Xbox1 and the other to my 360, the former for XBMC, the latter for Live (rarely) and watching HD movies via an external USB HDD. Since the 360 is laughable compared to an Xbox1 w/XBMC, I frequently have to swap ethernet cable back and forward. No big deal.

I only noticed the other day that when I went to play Oblivion - I had the ethernet cable plugged into the Xbox1 - it wouldn't load the DLC because I wasn't connected to Live. Even more of a pain, I tried to play a few HD movies and it wouldn't let me, as it said I needed a connection to Live to download some media update. Now I have the media update downloaded, I deleted it and re-downloaded just to confirm.

Is this the same for everyone? I mean, if for some reason my Live connection drops or whatever, then I'll not be able to watch any of my HD movies, or even play Oblivion w/DLC??

I've been able to still play my DLC when my 360 was disconnected, could be just isolated with oblivion dlc. I don't see how since it's impossible to pirate 360 DLC items.

When you first make your XBL account all your downloads get binded to the system code in the back (the one the microsoft support center asks for when it goes RROD). Well, if you happen to send in your console for any reason, and you get a new one back, all your downloads won't run anymore because your using a console with a different code, so now the only way microsoft can authenticate that your the actual buyer of the product, is for you to log in.

I never tried fixing it, but there is a way to change it by calling support, so that all your games work with your new console, my friend did it and even got all his points rebated because of it.

Game DLC works differently. The DRM attached has its own rules for whether you have to be online or not. The Xtreme Legends expansion pack DLC for Samurai Warriors 2, for example, needs me signed into my account and online at all times to play it, even though I bought it on the same machine witht he same ID.

If I'm not connected the game minus the expansion loads when you insert the disc.

well since there is no update this quarter. I guess there won't be an official fix till fall... I seem to remember going through most of the Oblivion DLC when I wasn't connected to live. I have all the DLC for it except horse armor :(

Game DLC works differently. The DRM attached has its own rules for whether you have to be online or not. The Xtreme Legends expansion pack DLC for Samurai Warriors 2, for example, needs me signed into my account and online at all times to play it, even though I bought it on the same machine witht he same ID.

If I'm not connected the game minus the expansion loads when you insert the disc.

You finally cave in and bought the Xtreme Legends DLC eh? :(

I have a few XBLA games that won't work unless I'm connected. I also have a few Rock Band songs that way but that was because of my idiot brother screwing it up by putting my account on his console and then d/l the songs on his consoles thinking that I could put them onto a memory card and transfer them to my console. I hate him.