To play Mass Effect And Spore!

Validation every 10 days.

BioWare technical producer Derek French has said that the PC versions of both Mass Effect and Spore will make use of copy protection that will require online validation every ten days in order for the games to continue working.

"After the first activation, SecuROM requires that [Mass Effect PC] re-check with the server within ten days (in case the CD Key has become public/warez'd and gets banned)," said French in a post on the BioWare forums.

If customers do not come online after ten days, the game will cease to function.

"After 10 days a re-check is required before the game can run," added French. "..An internet connection is not required to install, just to activate the first time, and every 10 days after."

The check is run when users activate the game's executable file, with the first re-check coming within "5 days remaining in the 10 day window."

According to French, Maxis' Spore will also make use of the same scheme: "[Electronic Arts] is ready for us and getting ready for Spore, which will use the same system."

French also noted that the online requirement will be clearly labeled on the games' packaging.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52547

I heard about this one a few days ago, just couldn't find the link again.

It'll be cracked.

no doubt it will be cracked.

Big Companies are looking more like idiots every day >.>.

This will not influence a pirate to go out and buy it, if anything, it'll influence them more in the direction of "revenge".

1.It's costing money to have the servers run the checks, and for the salaries of the coders. (Loss)

2.Pirates will still crack it and d/l it. (Although not really a loss, you still loose money)

3.Customer service will be rediculed (if it's available) about games shutting down because majority of customers won't be aware that their games brake so they'll need to make another copy if not they lost a future customer. (3rd loss, are you getting the point yet)

4.You get the same amount of sales that you would've gotten had you not made the above 3 losses, which means instead of getting your usual 5, your getting about 2 and a half now. (4th loss)

Point is, you fail.

Just dont buy the games,problem solved.

Some of us like to support companies. Some of us. Not all the time. Not all games are bought, only the ones worth buying. I'm down with piracy too, but some games are worth the buy. Both of these games just happen to be must have titles. More so with Spore since ME was released on 360.

But until they get their act together, I'm not buying these games.

Incredible bad move.

It's the same over and over again.

I wanted to buy Bioshock, but its copy protection hold me back.

Same applies now to bioshock.

It's even more crappy than bioshock ones.

Hope they don't make the same move with GTA4 or I won't buy it aswell.

Last game I bought was Earth 2160 Galaxy edition... >.<

Ohh... and STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl.