[08/03/05]God of War: Chains Of Olympus

Review: God Of War: Chain Of Olympus

System: PSP

God-Of-War-Chains-Of-Olympus_BOX_US.jpg

Finally! The game that most PSP owners have been waiting for. This game was first

hinted in God of War II's manual for PS2. It is enough to get every GOW fans and even

non fans excited as GOW series has been known for its epic setting, gorgeous graphics,

interesting gameplay and puzzle solving. Frankly, I was hoping for the best as Ready

At Dawn Studios has done it on PSP with Daxter, bringing us console quality gameplay

and graphics on this powerful handhelds. So, how does RAD Studios fares with their 2nd

outings on PSP?

Graphics:

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-200802.jpg

This is it. The BEST LOOKING GAME EVER ON PSP, yes, even better than Crisis Core: FVII

from Square Enix which already spotting gorgeous CGI and cutscenes. Graphics in GOW:COO

is always sharp and clear. You can see clearly what is happening on the small PSP

screen even if it is just some background movement. For example, in the first level

where the Persian fleet is attacking the Spartan city, you can see the vessels on the

sea, firing fire arrows at the city and it was a magnificent view in spite that all

these are happening on PSP screen. You can see Kratos clearly with all his animations,

the ever pissed off look on his ugly face, and decorated costume. The levels are all

beautifully rendered, with one of my favorite level, Temple of Helios is showing off

the power of PSP-rendered graphics with polished marbles reflecting the surrounding

and beautiful lightning and shadow effect. In fact, this PSP version even manage to

capture the grandious setting, the mega epic feel that is synonymous with the series

with vast setting and huge levels to explore. The only downside trying to portray these

grandeur is the camera will zoom out to show the vast surrounding and make Kratos 2mm

tall on the screen. As what Gamespot's review mentioned, a 2mm tall person won't scare

anyone B) Still, this is only a minor gripe and it will not lessen the enjoyment of

playing this game.

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-200-2.jpg

Graphics: 10/10 (this is THE game to show off and impress people)

Sound:

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-200705.jpg

If there is no compromise in bringing console quality graphics to the PSP for this game,

the same can be said in the sound department too. The voice acting is superb in this

game, with Kratos sounding as pissed off as ever, menacing and still fatherly-like when

need to (part fo the story, you will know when you reach it). From what I read, the

voice acting for Kratos and the narrator were the same people that been doing the voice

acting for GOW1 & 2 for PS2, so the quality is there. The bgm and sound effects are all

there with the exciting and fast beat soundtracks to pump up your adrenalin while you

carve off a path of your own in the game. Best enjoyed with a pair of good earphones.

Sound: 10/10

Controls:

I found the controls responsive and easy to use. You have the usual weak and strong

attack and jump. And when you have acquired, magic, you only need to press the Right

Shoulder Button + the face buttons to activate it. And to dodge, simply press both

shoulder buttons and dodge to the direction you want using the analog stick. It works

really well and didn't take long to get used to. in fact, the control is so responsive

that sometimes I accidentally press grab button while doing a combo and the grab did

come out immediately despite Kratos is in heavy action.

Controls: 10/10 (very responsive)

Story:

The story was set before GOW 1. it narrates the story of Kratos while he is still in

the service of the Greek gods and the story here is like one of the adventures he face

during that period. Frankly, the story is just adequate for this game. it is well told

but you feel like it could have been more. It didn't reveal much of Kratos's past (did

he has a rich history anyway? :o) but it is enough to give Kratos to be pissed off

and kill anything in sight.

Story: 7/10 (not the best story ever in a game but it is enough to get the game going)

Gameplay:

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-200-3.jpg

Blood, plenty of blood

Finally, the meat of the game. it wouldn't be God Of War if we don't have the usual

hack n slash, level exploring and the puzzle solving that is part and parcel of the

series. Ready At Dawn Studio pull out all stops here and bring everything that you love

on the PS2 series and put it in this PSP version, yes, even the sex mini game and the

occasional nudity is in it. You have the usual combos to dish out mayhem to the enemies

with chance to upgrade them through the red orbs that you find in chests or simply kill

the enemies. You will also obtain equipments and new weapons along the way that help you

in killing off the numerous enemies that you used to see in GOW 1 & 2. New weapons are

not many but they are adequate to provide some alternatives, plus the magic that you

are able to use, you'll have plenty to come out with some big combos.

Most of the enemies are making a comeback here, from the green snake-haired medusa to

the huge cyclops. Killing these bastards are satisfying with the ability to perform some

killing moves ala Shenmue button pressing to initiate those moves. The bosses are quite

interesting to fight with too but most of the bosses are the same size as Kratos. In

fact, there is ONLY ONE big boss fight in the whole game. I was a little disappointed

with this as i was hoping for more big boss fights. But still, it didn't lessen the

fun of playing this game.

The game was evenly paced out with more emphasis on combat actions peppered with

some platforming and puzzle solving in between. i like the way RAD pace out the game

as it give us time to gawk at the gorgeous graphics in some of the wonderful levels.

But the problem with this game is the length of the game. You are able to finish this

game in under 5 hrs at your first run in normal mode. And this was done with all the

moves upgraded and all secret areas found. A bit short but you can always replay the

game with harder difficulty and with different costumes that you unlocked (lol, the

SPUD OF WAR costume!). Of course, completing the game will unlock the Challenge of the

Hades where you have to perform specific objectives to complete these challenges, and

these challenges are not easy. I am still stuck at the 2nd challenges and there are 5

overall. The first one took me about 7 tries before i managed to beat it. The replay

value is not much but I would say it still warrant at least 2 - 3 playthroughs.

Gameplay: 9/10 (the length of the game might be a big put off to some, but I think it

is satisfying enough. In fact, it does better than a lot of other PSP games

where we only played it once)

Overall:

Graphics: 10/10

Sound : 10/10

Controls: 10/10

Story : 7/10

Gameplay: 9/10

Overall : 9.2/10

Yes, Ready At Dawn Studio has done it again. They have dispel the myth that PSP can't

handle console gaming experience on a handheld. One of the best PSP games and it is

definitely the 2008 PSP game of the year for now.

Have you play it? You might like it :angry:

I am on my 3rd play through on hardest difficulty now. I kinda like it now despite its short length. But the Challenge of Hades is still a tough nut to crack. Not being able to beat the challenge :)

And I was sitting here thinking that it was a GoW II port.

Put it this way, if it was a GoW2 port it would have much more to offer.

This game is more like half a PS2 GoW.

BK, as pessimistic as ever. Well, you are right in term of length, i guess. BUT, GOW also offers 2 weapon choices, same as GOW for PSP. well, just "get" it :P