Microsoft Dumps HD DVD Drive for Xbox 360

Jitway

Microsoft will stop making external HD DVD drives for its Xbox 360 game console, but won't say whether it will offer a Blu-ray Disc drive instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

The company will continue to provide warranty and product support for existing HD DVD players, it said

Warner Bros., which initially supported HD DVD, said early this year it would switch to Blu-ray Disc, a decision widely seen as a mortal blow to the format. Retailer Wal-Mart also recently said it would no longer sell HD DVDs.

Initially, Microsoft said Toshiba's announcement would have no effect on its Xbox plans.

Well there is another Microsoft lie saying oh this will not effect the 360. Well it looks to me like it sure will.

Read about it HERE

hd-dvd players are going for 50 bucks at my local wallyworld. and hd-dvd movies are slashed in price too. if you want a quick stopgap its a good deal right now.

Would be cool to have a Blu-Ray player and a HD-DVD player on the same 360 though

It would be good... I just don't think its actually possible for Microsoft to effectively market a Blu-ray add-on for their console, considering what they've already done to differentiate themselves from the PS3.

Yep for the next 2 days only get a HD drive for your XBOX and 5 free HD movies for 50 bucks.

Good deal if you really want it though HD is over and done with.

This isn't going to have much of an effect on the 360. Microsoft deliberately set things up so it wouldn't.

They knew there was a risk doing anything with either of the two formats, which is why they never made these movies a major part of the console, in fact it's a very minor one, with next to no effect.

They still have HD movies on XBL, as disc-less content, which is way ahead of Blu-Ray.