Underrated bands

mmm many of the bands mentioned here are not underrated, they are famous bands indeed. Two underrated bands i like would be Days of the New and Tantric which is Days of the New with a new singer. Tantric band formation has changed btween discs bu I still like it.

The pixies is another underrated band

oooh, an old member... a female one to boot :huh:

*humps you*

You humped a guy.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Black (Yes, he's actually released albums after The Pixies)

Godspeed! You Black Emperor

Doesn't Frank Black have a pretty devout cult-like following? Anyways, a lot of his material outside of The Pixies is amazing... and I don't really think Godspeed! You Black Emperor is underrated, just definitely not a mainstream success.

Ennio Morricone

Ennio Morricone is very well respected as a composer and is not underrated in any way. He's an award winner, dude. It's almost like saying Chopin was underrated. Almost.

Velvet Underground

Lou Reed (Velvet Underground singer gone solo- Check out Perfect Day off the Trainspotting soundtrack)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Buzzroosters

Choking Victim (definitely worth checking out)

Leftover Crack (same as Choking Victim different drummer)

The Distillers

The Faint

The Locust (noise Rock, mostly not understandable, but the music itself is OK...but I find it cool that they use insect noises)

The Pixies (They did the last song in the last scene of"Fight Club" called "Where is My Mind" Also, check out "Gigantic" I love that song)

Steppinwolf (Come on.... you know you love that magic carpet song)

Psycotica (the best band of the 90's you never heard of)

Placebo

The Dead Milk Men

FreezePop

Velvet Underground and Lou Reed are DEFINITELY NOT underrated! VU receives all of the credit they deserve, and I guarantee everyone has heard Reed's voice at some point of their lives. (look up "Sad Song" and "Street Hassle" -- great great stuff)

As for Steppenwolf, if you haven't heard, look up "The Pusher" and "Snowblind Friend."

I'd love to say that the Pixies are underrated, but they aren't. People have at least heard OF them. It wasn't Fight Club alone that catipulted them to great fame (in the U.S. to say the least, they were VERY popular in Europe during their `87-93 tenture). The fact Nirvana openly mentioned that they admired them and took their very much loud-quite-loud music dynamic. Even as far as saying they were trying to rip off "Debaser" for Teen Spirit. Of course the Foo Fighters as well owe their style to the Pixies as well. Covering "Tony's Theme" frequently in 1996-97.

tl;dr:

Pixes aren't underrated anymore. Maybe 20 years ago yeah, but certainly not now.

Didn't Cobain say that Surfer Rosa definitely influenced the direction he went with his music? Honestly, they (Pixies) are one of my favorite bands. I'm convinced that every great band from the 60's to early 90's sucked just about all of the talent and originality from rock music.

Let's go for stuff that's kind of obscure... Rites of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate (first album = amazing), The Promise Ring, John Vanderslice, Fad Gadget, and Thursday (old stuff is underrated, new stuff is overrated).

mmm many of the bands mentioned here are not underrated, they are famous bands indeed. Two underrated bands i like would be Days of the New and Tantric which is Days of the New with a new singer. Tantric band formation has changed btween discs bu I still like it.

The pixies is another underrated band

oooh, an old member... a female one to boot :huh:

*humps you*

You humped a guy.

that's named Alexis?

eh, might as well not waste a perfectly good hard on *finishes*

Doesn't Frank Black have a pretty devout cult-like following? Anyways, a lot of his material outside of The Pixies is amazing... and I don't really think Godspeed! You Black Emperor is underrated, just definitely not a mainstream success.

Didn't Cobain say that Surfer Rosa definitely influenced the direction he went with his music? Honestly, they (Pixies) are one of my favorite bands. I'm convinced that every great band from the 60's to early 90's sucked just about all of the talent and originality from rock music.

FB has a pretty good cult following (which I'm part of) and I did happen to see the Pixies twice during their 04-05 reunion tour which that itself was pretty awesome, but missed when FB played in a small club somewhere around Place des Arts theater. His latest album('Bluefinger' I believe is the title, using his old 'Black Francis' monkier) is a good throw back before he decided to go Nashville. His Nashville material isn't bad, but it's good see Francis rocking out again. It's as close as everyone can get to a Pixies' record.

GS!YBE has only had 1 song used for a movie, and that movie was 28 Days Later. ("East Hastings" was used but the band did not want them credited). They've done tons of things on the indy scene espeically around Montreal, and alot of people haven't heard of em.

Also Cobain did say Surfer Rosa was the main influence for the sound direction, but it was years later that Grohl attached that Cobain was trying to rip off "Debaser" for Teen Spirit.

Jesus christ the thread is filled with nothing but stupid. Underrated does not mean a band that doesn't get air time on the radio.

The only thing for right now that I'm gonna contribute is an awesome name that everyone should be ashamed for not worshipping...

Mike Patton

mikepatton.jpg

I win.

Don't worry. It's perfectly normal to realize you missed out on greatness.

I know many people knows The Pixies by now but still many don't and by underrated I meant that they are not recognized the way they should not what no one except people in their hometown knows them. Anyway it is not a big deal to start a catfight

and yes, I am a guy called Alexis, Alexis is the same name for women and men alike

UNDERRATED: to rate or evaluate too low; underestimate.

That's all I am saying when you people mention bands that you think aren't underrated by other people's standards. By saying the Pixies aren't Underrated, is silly, because they don't play on the radio and the first time I heard them was in Fight Club in the last scene right before the credits.

How many people do you know, that know who Velvet Underground are? I don't know very many. But sure people do know who they are and they get credit, and the bands I mentioned, don't get credited enough, you know....so yeah....people "underestimate" the bands I mentioned, or they just don't get what they deserve. That's why I put them into this thread...

That's all I am saying when you people mention bands that you think aren't underrated by other people's standards. By saying the Pixies aren't Underrated, is silly, because they don't play on the radio and the first time I heard them was in Fight Club in the last scene right before the credits.

How many people do you know, that know who Velvet Underground are? I don't know very many. But sure people do know who they are and they get credit, and the bands I mentioned, don't get credited enough, you know....so yeah....people "underestimate" the bands I mentioned, or they just don't get what they deserve. That's why I put them into this thread...

It's hard to say what exactly is underated. I suppose something thats not mainstream is underated.

It's hard to say what exactly is underated. I suppose something thats not mainstream is underated.

Unless it sucks and no one likes it. :)

Well, they aren't on radio anymore because their time has passed, besides the occasional Alt. Radio channel. The last single they released was "Bam Thwok" back when their reunion tour was just starting. Heck, their singles weren't even commerically sucessful. I bet most people didn't know they broke up AFTER Trompe le Monde was released.