The Overall RPG Cliche'

Discussion Topic: Why is it in every single RPG game known to man, that you are able to stroll into a resident's house without permission, talk to them, and steal their prized possessions? What the fibber fabber's?

My Answer: I've always asked myself this question, I always here people asking this question, and quite frankly, the answer is unknown to be. It is obviously a RPG Game cliche', it doesn't make since at all. But then again, a contingent of things in games don't make since either.

What do you think?

Edited by Devia Eleven

Maybe the residents know subconsciously that the handsome protagonist and his/her motley crew and in progress of saving the world, and so the residents harbor no animosity towards the group of people that burst into the house and take whatever they find useful.

Maybe the residents know subconsciously that the handsome protagonist and his/her motley crew and in progress of saving the world, and so the residents harbor no animosity towards the group of people that burst into the house and take whatever they find useful.

Too bad it doesn't always work like that in Oblivion... I mean, all I did was pick the lock on the door and steal the sword I wanted needed to save the world because I didn't have enough money to pay for it AND all that beer!

My favorite RPG Cliche is some random guy in a town who after one adventure or attack on the town; He is automatically chosen to be the hero.

But yeah, The items are only there so you will actually go in the houses and probably talk to the NPCs. Otherwise, who cares?

You'd get accused of stealing in BG/Fallout, then they'd chase you...

But Fallout and Baldur's Gate are on a whole different level than most other RPGs. All other RPGs should be ashamed of themselves.

But Fallout and Baldur's Gate are on a whole different level than most other RPGs. All other RPGs should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't like Fallout, but I've never played Baldur's Gate. Just looked at some screenshots, kinda looks Diablo'esque. Does it play like Diablo?

I don't like Fallout, but I've never played Baldur's Gate. Just looked at some screenshots, kinda looks Diablo'esque. Does it play like Diablo?

No, turn based AD&D2.0 rule set.