Why SNES turn yellow

Diso

Sure, consoles age and get dirty. Heck, I remember a suspicious incident involving my Super Nintendo (SNES) console and a can of Coca-Cola in the early ’90s that left my SNES looking more like a moldy loaf of bread than a video game system. But around five years ago, I noticed that my SNES console was aging particularly badly. I cleaned off all the remnants of fossilized Coke residue from the chassis with a wet washcloth, but the “moldy bread” look still remained. The top half of the console’s plastic body retained a uniformly nasty yellow-brown hue, while the bottom half flaunted its showroom shine — that native SNES gray that we all know and love. I soon realized that a much deeper mechanism was responsible for the aesthetic disfigurement of my beloved SNES than mere dirt and sugar.

Link

Credits: Slashdot

I thought the article was highly interesting that our own sun causes a reaction in the material that causes the degration. It's weird that I haven't seen much discoloration in the old hardware in my house (Not even the atari 800 has it).

Oh yeah, [fanboy] Theres another reason why Genesis is better than Snes[/fanboy]

Well that's because the Genesis has to retain more of it's colors, because the SNES has more to begin with! :(

SNES is superior, for more reasons than it's larger color pallette. EVERY port to both systems, was superior on the SNES. Proven fact.

SNES is superior, for more reasons than it's larger color pallette. EVERY port to both systems, was superior on the SNES. Proven fact.

Well, I for one remember the SF2 'wars' when the game eventually got ported to MD. I took great pleasure in poking fun at my friend having to wait about a year and a half for the MD 'Special' Champ Edition :(

Well that's because the Genesis has to retain more of it's colors, because the SNES has more to begin with! :(

The SNES was undeniably the more powerful system. Still, I love my Mega Drive more.

are you being sarcastic or something?

None of my consoles have had this happen to them, i dont really get it, it didnt happen to any of my computers or anything.

I think its more to do with people who smoke in their house (although i do smoke my hookah inside, but that hasnt been for very long)

The SNES was undeniably the more powerful system. Still, I love my Mega Drive more.

I was just poking fun anyway, I love em both for their unique games. The 16bit era was the best EVAR!