Trying to get my cousin into Xenosaga...,

Full Blog

A few years back(when Xenosaga came out) my cousin saw me play the game and told me to give her a quick summary. Explaining any RPG with a good and/or indepth plot in a couple of sentences just doesn't work. I was relatively new to RPGs at the time so I didn't really know this. I made an attempt to explain Xenosaga so far in just a couple of sentences to my cousin. After hearing my summary, reading the text on the back of the box, and watching me play for five minutes she concluded that the game "sucks".

She's one of the most closed-minded individuals I've ever met in my life. Prior to the whole Xenosaga incident the only RPG experience she ever had was with Final Fantasy X, a game she purchased because it was popular. She has stated numerous times that she doesn't even like turnbase RPGs. Surprisingly, she has gotten quite far in FFX. Recently she told me that she kept playing because the relationship between Tidus and his father interests her(personally I don't see anything exciting going on there in that side of the plot). I've concluded that her interests for the Tidus/Father relationship outweighed her annoyance for the Yuna/Tidus relationship(a side of the story that she has complained about on numerous occasions. She has also stated that she believes this is the worst part of the game).

Now a couple of years after my historic Xenosaga summary I finally confronted and persuaded her to finally play the game. Prior to this, she has always declared that "xenosaga is a bad game" even though she has never played the game. Actually, I sort of forced her into playing. I asked her if she wanted to play and she didn't respond. So anyway the game boots up in the PS2 and then she creates a new file.

The most annoying thing about her is that during almost or all of the cutscenes in Xenosaga she would talk about something completely non-pertinent to Xenosaga. Sometimes or almost all of the time she would make comments about very insignificant things(ie: "Why is Shion wearing glasses if they have the technology to build bots?!?", "Virgil has blonde hair, he must be gay!", "KOS-MOS & Shion should be lesbians, it'll make the story more interesting", etc.). During the very first cutscene where the Zohar is discovered in Lake Turkana she says, "Why don't they get real black people to do the voice acting?!". And she would go on and on talking over the dialogue and not paying attention to whatever is being said.

Upon initiation of the first boss(or mini-boss) battle against an A.G.W.S. in the Encephalon she uttered out, "Gundam!" as a reference to the legendary anime series. After that she would discuss her memories of the Gundam anime for the next five or six minutes(without pressing a button on the controller I might add). This is one of the most annoying things, that she continuously makes references to other comic books, movies and cartoons throughout her Xenosaga play. This is natural for any of us but when she does it she deviates her focus or attention away from the game. During one black & white cutscene where Nephilim is standing in front of the Zohar and mutely speaking with Shion, when the camera goes to Nephilum my cousin says, "Children of the Corn". I'm not entirely sure what that is(it's probably a movie or something).

I believe that if she had never heard my summary or read the text on the box or have been unaware of the existence of this game, that her first playthrough would be a bit more seriously. But because those factors were present she convinces herself that this isn't her type of game and pays little attention to the dialogues and cutscenes. She saved her file but hasn't met Captain Matthews' crew yet so whatever criticism she has on the game is unjust in my view. The story hasn't really began yet.

Children of the corn = horror flick.

A lot of people base there gaming views like that...., which is why a lot of people hate games they have never played. You'll just have to live with it, if you can show people how great certain games would be in writing 2d games would still be alive today.

Or at least have a better supply of up-to date games.

Edited by Drake

I hope she understands this means war!

Just kidding. Let it go! you can't force a her to like a game, let alone a game from the genre she hates!

Unless you could trick her into thinking Tidus and his old man are making an appearance in Xenosaga...

I hope she understands this means war!

Just kidding. Let it go! you can't force a her to like a game, let alone a game from the genre she hates!

Unless you could trick her into thinking Tidus and his old man are making an appearance in Xenosaga...

lol

A few years back she has always said she wasn't into console RPGs. Interestingly enough, recently, she states that she does like turnbase RPGs.

I don't take her words too seriously anymore. She annoys the hell out of me. And no, she didn't only do it to Xenosaga. For Star Ocean 3, it was much worse. She only played the game for a few minutes before concluding that "it sucks".

Initially I thought of her as the air-head casual gamer whos only into action-pack stuff. And that a game which involves thinking(you would have to actually use your head and strategize in a turnbase environment) would turn her off. That's why I let her play Star Ocean 3. Personally I think of the game as a mindless hack & slash(your opinion might differ her) but for some odd reason she wasn't interested in playing further.

It's just weird with her. She used to be a hardcore gamer and played any game with me back in the days. Her taste in interactive entertainment is just bizarre in my opinion.

She likes Final Fantasy because of the story, but simultaneously dislikes the whole turnbase RPG genre? And hates a story-heavy Xenosaga without even playing enough of it?

I give up on her.

My first rpg was played through entirely for story line purpose.... I did not like the idea of turn based action until half way through the game did I realize it became more of a game of thought then just pushes O to accept the attack command.

Also anyone playing games can grow out of it....

Edited by Drake

She's 18 years old. Unfortunately she does seem a bit immature and stupid at times. I mean, how can you assume all guys with blonde hair are homosexuals? That's one of the most stupidiest generalizations I've heard in awhile.

Hopefully you guys understand why I'm forcing her. She went through 2 or 3 years without playing the game and saying "it sucks". I mean, how can you justify something like that?

From her personality and her attitude towards things, you would think a game like Star Ocean 3 would be perfect for her. No taking turns, just mindless button-smashing and simple storyline(in my opinion). She didn't give that game a chance either. She kept talking about other non-pertinent and less-important things while playing.

It's like she has a short-attention span or something and only pays attention to cut scenes for five seconds. Whereas in Final Fantasy X, she pays attention to every little detail.

I don't understand any of this crap.

Just leave her be, theres no point.

I can't stand fighting games, but I don't write off the entire genre because of the fact I think most of it sucks. Theres a few select fighting games I like, especially older ones before all the "Been there, done that" clones started popping up and KOF started to become a cash cow. I give new games a shot, or at least check out videos before I say "that sucks".

You play what you like, and f**k everyone else and their opinion. Thats how I work, opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one.........and some people are one.