What's so great about HT Technology?

Alpha

I am thinking of buying a new computer next year and want to know how great HT (Hyper Threading) Technology is? My old 1.6Ghz is holding on to its dear life and is super slow. I defragmented my hard drive for the first time in the 4 years I bought my computer just this last month. I don't build computers, nor do I know much about hardware, I just buy them. :)

I have never heard of HT. So I just did a search on it and it sounds promising.

Hyper-Threading Technology for Gaming and Video

The Intel® Pentium® processor Extreme Edition combines HT Technology with dual-core processing to give people PCs capable of handling four software threads. HT Technology enables gaming enthusiasts to play the latest titles and experience ultrarealistic effects and gameplay. And multimedia enthusiasts can create, edit, and encode graphically intensive files while running a virus scan in the background.

I would personally get it if I was buying a new PC.

Just a question. Would 2.8ghz still be ok for gaming standards today. I mean I heard people where having trouble with fear because they have 2.8ghz ?

In short, it's like emulating 4 CPUs if you have Dual Core. Same applies too AMD's Hyper Transport. Same sheit, different name.

I got my new comp 2-3 months ago, so im quite up to date on hardware at the moment.

Hyperthreading adds some boost to applications and games,

yet the most powerfull CPU to date is the Athlon64.

AMD lowered prices today, you can get an

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ for 328 bucks and have a _real_ DualCore CPU instead of emulated 2nd core as in Hyperthreading.

In the long term, 2 real cores will be better than HT, when software starts using both.

Quote from THG about X2:

"The first surprise here is that unlike Intel, thermal issues did not force AMD to reduce average clock speeds to operate two processor cores on one physical chip. This means that AMD dual core processors should run exactly as fast as their single core versions running at the same clock speed. In contrast, the fastest Intel dual core will remain at 3.2 GHz, while the fastest single core clocks in at 3.8 GHz."

You should read this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/index.html

then decide.

Read some more articles on different sites and learn about the current state of hardware technologie, then buy a comp.

I got a A64 3200+ Singlecore, cause dualcore from AMD is also Socket 939, and with a decent Mobo, that has support for Dualcore, you trash the single core, plug in your new dualcore when you can afford it/need more CPU Power, and you are set. AFAIK Intel Dualcore has a different socket than singlecore CPUs, so you must decide prior buying.

Edited by Madman

A dual core Intel CPU with Hyperthreading would easily smoke (And I mean SMOKE) any AMD CPU on the market right now in certain application situations. For multimedia uses, Intel's CPUs are still far out infront of AMDs.

A dual core CPU with Hyperthreading is 2 CPUs capable of handling 2 software threads simultaneously per core. Thats 4 threads at a time.

For things that can make use of it, like alot of video editing software, 3d modeling software etc.......an AMD CPU is far from the best choice.

It's quite apparant however, if you're a gamer........AMD has the goods. There are currently ZERO multithreaded games on the market.

People don't seem to realize there is more to everything than you read in biased reviews in magazines and websites, they'd rather just be big fat fanboys who know nothing more about a product, than it's name.

TOMS HARDWARE SUCKS!

yup what gryph saod is true as i currently use a athlon 64 3800 and my can support x2 cpu's unlike intel :D

most reviews i've seen for pentium d have been so-so as well with some of x2's but i would perfer getting amd by far since it is cheaper on the user and still can match/beat pentium d in most things.