Microsoft Requires Windows Piracy Checks

Alpha

REDMOND, Wash. - Microsoft Corp. has kicked off a new program aimed at severely curtailing the ways people using pirated copies of its Windows operating system can get software updates.

When a computer user starts to download updates, the new program, called Windows Genuine Advantage, will scan the machine to see if it's running an authentic version of Windows.

If the program detects a counterfeit copy, it will offer two options:

* Customers who fill out a piracy report, provide proof of purchase and send in the counterfeit CDs will get a free copy of Windows Home Edition, which retails for $199, or Windows Professional, which sells for $299.

* Those who simply submit a piracy report — giving details of when, where and from whom the operating system was purchased — and send in the counterfeit copy will get either version of Windows at half price.

* The authentication process was optional until Monday. From now on, it will be required for all software updates except security patches.

* After prompting customers that their operating systems need to be authenticated, the program will scan the computer, detecting the product number automatically — unless, of course, it's a fake.

Will Poole, a senior vice president in Microsoft's Windows division, said more than 40 million customers took part in the pilot.

The world's largest software maker did not disclose how many pirated copies of Windows it has rooted out since the program began as a pilot program last September.

So for all you people out there who didn't pay for it, you're going to pay anyways. I still don't like that they have to force it on us and don't make it optional anymore. Even my windows updates are doing its thing automatically and I see my computer restarted by itself. It's getting a little rediculous. :(

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know GC, you can prevent Windows Update from automatically updating (and restarting) your system.

I think I've already set it to not to, but it still does it.

You know GC, you can prevent Windows Update from automatically updating (and restarting) your system.

Hm. That's odd. I've disabled it myself and it stays disabled. Check if you have the Windows Update as an active process in the background. Better yet, check that you have really disabled it from the System Control Panel.

Hm. That's odd. I've disabled it myself and it stays disabled. Check if you have the Windows Update as an active process in the background.

If the process is just called "windowsupdate"... I don't see it. Does it have another name? :(

Hm. That's odd. I've disabled it myself and it stays disabled. Check if you have the Windows Update as an active process in the background.

If the process is just called "windowsupdate"... I don't see it. Does it have another name? :(

I think it's Wupdmgr.exe. You really should know your programs better. ;)

This is only a problem for those that actually use the Windows Update.

To completely disable it you have to disable the service. Start -> Run -> Type in services.msc -> Find Automatic Updates and turn it off and then disable it.