PS3 Cell specs

Sultan

Here's an interesting explanation of Sony/IBM's Cell architecture, based on the patent papers.

Cell Architecture

The author is estimating a lot of the details and performance specs, but its quite amazing stuff. Some highlights include 1 Cell being able to do a SETI unit in 5 minutes, and the PS3 is supposed to have 4 cells. He also thinks it would take as few as 8 cells working together to make it onto the current top 500 supercomputer list. And because they are the ultimate in distributed computering, you could speed up your processing performance on a cell computer by just having a bunch of Cell-based products networked together (say, a PS3, pda, printer, and DVR all working together). The author concludes that Cell-based systems could basically obsolete the modern PC.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading that right now and was about to post it. :( But I found this quote shown on Slashdot to be interesting:

"5 dual core Opterons directly connected via HyperTransport should be able to achieve a similar level of performance in stream processing - as a single Cell. The PlayStation 3 is expected to have have 4 Cells."

flocking amazing. I wonder if we'll be able to buy them easily like current processors.

But most software right now only supports x86 instructions so they'll have to have support for CELL now.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

But most software right now only supports x86 instructions so they'll have to have support for CELL now.

He addresses that advantage of PCs in the Cell vs PC section.

You could easily emulate an x86 system on Cell architecture. The only question is would processes within the emulated environment gain from the Cell at all? I would guess you could get some improvement, if anything just because the cell could emulate a really fast x86 system.

Edited by Sultan

I will never cave into Sony products. NEVER SHALL I CAVE. First they take away my favorite games, now they're trying to take away my home!

I will never cave into Sony products. NEVER SHALL I CAVE. First they take away my favorite games, now they're trying to take away my home!

WTF! is sony trying to buy your van down by the river?!

YO VIVO EN VAAAN CIRCA DE UN RIO! :banghead: Matt Foley was a great character.

But, I guess we'll have to wait and see the implications of the CELL processor on the rest of the market. No amount of speculation will predict actual market performance and hardware/software quality.

So far I've only read some of the article but it seems that PCs and another consoles (since the rest don't use CELL) can still compete due to GPUs which are immensely powerful. Imagine PS3 with next gen Nvidia hardware...I can't wait to see tech demos and games on this console. But one thing to keep in mind is Sony's love for super hype...remember what they did with the Emotion Engine and how they said PS2 would be like a supercomputer? I still have reservations but am very interested in how all of this turns out.

WTF! is sony trying to buy your van down by the river?!

They are! :banghead:

hmmm thats sounds intresting, but what does it mean for actual gameplay, would i be playing a game that looks like advent children or is this even usable to game programmers to take adavantage of, or would it be like the human brain where only a certain percentage of its capabilities be used.

hmmm thats sounds intresting, but what does it mean for actual gameplay, would i be playing a game that looks like advent children or is this even usable to game programmers to take adavantage of, or would it be like the human brain where only a certain percentage of its capabilities be used.

it means we'll see some really awesome tech demos then when it comes out everyone will be disappointed when fantavision 2 is the release title.