What is the deal with online gaming?

gavin19

I cannot grasp two things -

1) 3D fighting games. There is no need for them. 2D will always prevail.

2) The appeal of online gaming. I have never ever once thought of, or participated in, online gaming. Could someone explain the attraction of playing against some invisible guy accross the net as opposed to playing against an invisible CPU guy?

If I were to start, which game would anyone recommend? I have heard a lot about SW : Galaxies, but that is about all.

Well I play online FPS games and playing against a real person is more fun than against a bot. And where else will you meet such colorful characters who like to talk in l33t and call you a goat-flocker for being better than them.

1) no comment I never played 3d fighting games that much and don't intend to bash on them.

2) Its just fun I guess. Its really to test ur skills and its more fun if ur facing someone from a community like 1emulation. Though people tend to whore things a lot, its just plain simple fun especially with friends when u have nothing to do.

Games to try are prolly: WoW, Cs, HL2, Cs:Source, uhhh C&C Generals, Warcraft 3, Starcraft,

1) Eh, 3D has its upsides. Play Virtua Fighter: Evolution (and actually figure out what you're doing a little bit) and you'll see what it can add. No, 2D shouldn't go anywhere, but 3D isn't worthless either.

2) The difference between a computer AI and an invisible person accross the world is twofold. First, a player opponent is free to try the weird things that computer opponents might not be programmed to try. This is especially true in real time strategy games. Basically, a human has free-will, while an AI has a programmed set of responses (no matter how complex). You then have to deal with this creativity that, when fighting a computer, is only for you to use. Also, a human is ideally working off of skill and their own brainpower, as opposed to an AI, which you know COULD hit you dead on every time, or break your strategy down to a series of logical decisions in an instant, if it was programmed to.

The second difference is that humans can communicate with you through text or, recently, speech. For many, this breaks down to pointless bitching/boasting and l33tsp33k. It can, combined with the free-will mentioned above, make for far more interesting games, especially when teamwork is involved.

If you're looking for a good place to start online games.. Well, what type of games do you like?

I'm not sure about fighters, as I haven't played any of those online. Maybe Kalliera?

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War is an excellent online Real-Time Strategy.

For First-Person Shooters, the original Half-Life will get you access to a variety of good "mods," as they're called. Most notably CounterStrike, Deathmatch Classic, TeamFortress Classic, and Day of Defeat. Half Life itself isn't a bad deathmatch game either. Unreal Tournament 2004 is also excellent online, and has a variety of gameplay modes (Onslaught is the most popular) and some good mods (Red Orchestra, Air Buccaneers).

That should get you started.

In WH40k, I have WAHA Banners. I feel so happy and honourful. HL and UT:GOTY editions have excellent mods. If you want to feel more recent, UT2k4 has a varity of excellent (and professionally made-like) mods, such as Red Orchestra, Ailen Warm, Air Bucchenaires, Marblemadness and Out of Hell.

In WH40k, I have WAHA Banners. I feel so happy and honourful. HL and UT:GOTY editions have excellent mods. If you want to feel more recent, UT2k4 has a varity of excellent (and professionally made-like) mods, such as Red Orchestra, Ailen Warm, Air Bucchenaires, Marblemadness and Out of Hell.

WAHA Banners? You are making less and less sense tonight...

WAHA Banners? You are making less and less sense tonight...

WAHA BANNERS ^_______^

11002829456080jg.png