Sony and Nvidia Team Up

While plenty of rumors and flat out speculation have surrounded the next generation of consoles, an interesting and rather exciting bit of information regarding Sony's next PlayStation was revealed today. Powered by the highly publicized Cell microprocessor, the PS3 (working name) will also contain a custom Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) developed as a collaboration between Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.(SCEI) and graphics giant Nvidia Corporation.

"We are thrilled to partner with Sony Computer Entertainment to build what will certainly be one of the most important computer entertainment and digital media platforms of the twenty-first century," added Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO, NVIDIA. "Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system. In parallel, we have been designing our next-generation GeForce GPU. The combination of the revolutionary Cell processor and NVIDIA's graphics technologies will enable the creation of breathtaking imagery that will surprise and captivate consumers."

Evolving from the work that began over the past two years alongside the GeForce GPU from Nvidia, the GPU that will be featured in Sony's next-generation console is being manufactured at Sony Group's Nagasaki Fab2 as well as OTSS, a joint fabrication facility of both Sony and Toshiba.

"In the future, the experience of computer entertainment systems and broadband-ready PCs will be fused together to generate and transfer multi-streams of rich content simultaneously. In this sense, we have found the best way to integrate the state-of-the-art technologies from NVIDIA and SCEI," said Ken Kutaragi, executive deputy president and COO, Sony Corporation, and president and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Our collaboration includes not only the chip development but also a variety of graphics development tools and middleware, essential for efficient content creation."

Sony is also currently pushing the company's latest handheld, the PSP, which launches soon in Japan and early next year in North America. There is no firm release date for Sony's PlayStation 3 as of yet, but hopefully we'll learn more about the company's target release date for the console as details like today's news begin to emerge.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatchoo mean "now"?

Gamecube runs an ATi GPU and Xbox an NvIdia one, if there was any fanboyism it's already around.

Didn't M$ say they were going with ATi for the Xbox 2, and Nintendo is going with them again as we already know.

I hate fanboys anyway, I buy what I want, people who resort to fanboyism have serious mental issues an usually don't know a frickin thing about the actual hardware specifications/capabilities.

Whatchoo mean "now"?

Gamecube runs an ATi GPU and Xbox an NvIdia one, if there was any fanboyism it's already around.

Didn't M$ say they were going with ATi for the Xbox 2, and Nintendo is going with them again as we already know.

I hate fanboys anyway, I buy what I want, people who resort to fanboyism have serious mental issues an usually don't know a frickin thing about the actual hardware specifications/capabilities.

Well no one really cared if the GC had ATI or whatever. And PS3 and XBOX2 so far are going to be the power houses (until Nintendo reveals something.) I didn't really come across any Gamcube/ATI vs. XBOX/nVIDIA fanboyism but I see what you mean.

But yeah, M$ is using ATI R5xx chipset for XBOX2 and so is Gamecube.

But yeah, M$ is using ATI R5xx chipset for XBOX2 and so is Gamecube.

does that mean gamcude and xbox2 can render the same thing in the same speeed ??

Don't know yet. We need to know the exact specs like processor speed, RAM, etc. Just because they use the same graphics cores doesn't mean that much.

sry for acting such a noob, but ps3 will rule and cost a lot so i won't be getting it at release