Official: Half Life 2 Thread

Mag

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were going to buy it. (I'm not I am broke :D ) it's alittle disapointing that steam costs the same as going to the store and buying it. you'd figure for not getting a disc or manuel or even a cool little box. they could knock a few bucks off the price. not to mention the download time, I'm guessing between 6 and 8 hours on cable. it only takes me 10 minutes to get to best buy..... if valve really wanted steam to work they'd give a bit of incentive to it's users

Good point, I didn't really think about this.. The download time, however, wasn't an issue. The entire pre-load only took around an hour on my cable connection. Getting HL1 installed off steam took almost no time at all, as in, less than a minute. They must have some scary compression going or something, I dunno.

If I were going to buy it. (I'm not I am broke :D ) it's alittle disapointing that steam costs the same as going to the store and buying it. you'd figure for not getting a disc or manuel or even a cool little box. they could knock a few bucks off the price. not to mention the download time, I'm guessing between 6 and 8 hours on cable. it only takes me 10 minutes to get to best buy..... if valve really wanted steam to work they'd give a bit of incentive to it's users

Actually the cheapest Steam (Bronze) is 5 dollars less than the normal retail. It's extremely costly to run Steam so that's why the prices is what it is. But the main reason it's not at a lower price is that Vivendi won't allow them to sell for cheap otherwise it would be a breach of their contract since it would take sales away from them.

I played a litle bit on my room mates computer - some glitches in the menu and game load but no problem with the gameplay. 

I really can't make an opinion on the graphics since I set everything to the lowest option (thought HL2 will drop to DirectX6 specs if needed) but I agree with diso that it is a pretty cool game and the wait was worth it.

What's up with the minimalist hud now a days.  Seems like HL2 and Doom3 barely have a HUD.  I don't know if I like it better that way (since you do see more of the gameplay).

Glitches in the menu? That's the first I've heard of that, it has to be something with your system. I like that Valve chose the minimalistic HUD view since it's unobtrusive but I wish you could make the font size smaller.

If I were going to buy it. (I'm not I am broke :banghead: ) it's alittle disapointing that steam costs the same as going to the store and buying it. you'd figure for not getting a disc or manuel or even a cool little box. they could knock a few bucks off the price. not to mention the download time, I'm guessing between 6 and 8 hours on cable. it only takes me 10 minutes to get to best buy..... if valve really wanted steam to work they'd give a bit of incentive to it's users

Actually the cheapest Steam (Bronze) is 5 dollars less than the normal retail. It's extremely costly to run Steam so that's why the prices is what it is. But the main reason it's not at a lower price is that Vivendi won't allow them to sell for cheap otherwise it would be a breach of their contract since it would take sales away from them.

well I would rather the bulk of my money go to Valve and not Vivendi. so if I do end up with some free cash I'll get it on steam, does it come as something you can burn? like an iso or zip or whatever? I am not paying for a program I can't back up

If I were going to buy it. (I'm not I am broke :banghead: ) it's alittle disapointing that steam costs the same as going to the store and buying it. you'd figure for not getting a disc or manuel or even a cool little box. they could knock a few bucks off the price. not to mention the download time, I'm guessing between 6 and 8 hours on cable. it only takes me 10 minutes to get to best buy..... if valve really wanted steam to work they'd give a bit of incentive to it's users

well I would rather the bulk of my money go to Valve and not Vivendi. so if I do end up with some free cash I'll get it on steam, does it come as something you can burn? like an iso or zip or whatever? I am not paying for a program I can't back up

Yeah, just last week Valve introduced a Backup feature in Steam which packs the files into self extracting files so it's easy to burn and reinstall. I haven't done it yet but I think they have an option to split into CD sized files and DVD sized files which is cool since I haven't gotten a DVD burner yet.

My advice: Dont by HL2 yet

My god there are so many glitches, if you go to tech support anywhere or HL2 forums it seems like everyone is experiencing some kind of serious glitch, even people with super ub3r computers.

Im one of the lucky ones where the game crashes whenever i have to save something.

god im so pissed.

Muahahaha! The game runs absolutely fantastic for me and everyone I know. We all got it from Steam. From what I've been reading, most of the problems are with the retail version.

But it still sucks for those that are having problems since this is a FANTASTIC game.

A bit late, but i just get this game yesterday.

ANd WTF, this baby can run on my old clunky computer with GForce2!

And really, this SHOULD be the Game of the Year!

I am now at the hovercraft section :blink: Really amazing!

Awesome! What kind of speed are you getting with it? The Source engine is very nice, it's a good thing it scales all the way back to DX7. :blink:

Also, I just beat the game today so the review might be coming sometime soon.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Awesome! What kind of speed are you getting with it? The Source engine is very nice, it's a good thing it scales all the way back to DX7. :blink:

No lag at all!!! The only minor gripe is the loading time when you move to a new section. But I can bear with it since I never tot I could

play this game at all!!! This really make up for my disappointment with Doom3 (which I can' t play!) Good old Valve!