PLAYSTATION VS DREAMCAST

thedonjuan

DC vs PS1 or PS2?

Either way, I'm going to go with the Dreamcast. There are incredible games on PS1 and PS2, but if you asked me to name 5 console games I'd want on a deserted island, 4 would be on DC > Soul Calibur 1 (I hate SC2, so this is already a strike against PS2), MotW, LB2, Project Justice. PS2 wins a point for GGXX#R, it's hard to go back to GGX by now. Of course, DC has many other fan favorites, including but not limited to SF3 1-3, MVC2 (this has been released on PS2 by now, hasn't it?), DOA2 (good enough, even with newer versions out), KoFs 98(that dream-match named 99something)-2k2 (points to PS2 for 2k3 and SSV, not to mention the upcoming LB1-2 pack, although the jury's out on the quality of the port), SFA3, it even has Vampire Chronicle, etc.

I guess I'm being a fan-boy. I'm not putting the playstations down, many of my favorite games are on PS2, and they own the DC for free on RPGs and many other genres... but I truly feel love for the DC, as do a lot of people. It's a kickass little system with capabilities ahead of the competition's time, it even comes in a loveable little box with cute little controllers (and the Agetec stick ain't that bad.) Soul Calibur 1 clinches it for me, but still, for fighters in general, DC all the way. Kinda hard not to want both systems though...

[edit: oh, btw, Bluestinger X, what anime is the clip in your avatar from?]

Edited by Swithin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, let it be. Help to keep the board lively. :)

DC all the way. Although they really lack support from game developers. The only big company really supporting DC is Capcom.

I dun see the rest though.

heheheh thats why i love my Dreamcast oh so much....to play MVC2 before anyone else did...yay!

i love dc, but i have to say psx the games were more memorable and i prefer the controller, i hate the DC controller

What?!? PS controller is crap! Especially when used to play fighting games. And I like DC's with the memory card attached to it.

Can look at all the cutesy pics :)

i love dc, but i have to say psx the games were more memorable and i prefer the controller, i hate the DC controller

What?!? PS controller is crap! Especially when used to play fighting games.

Hardly. It boils down to how good the inputs have been programmed.

The Playstation pad's digital pad is excellent for fighting games.

Edited by Agozer

The DC pad is perfect for Soulcal, piss poor for most 2D fighting games. On the other hand, the PS pad is very good for things like racing games, and a little bit better for *some* fighting games, but... if a pad doesn't have six face buttons, it's never going to be good enough for 2D fighters - which is why we have third-party pads (for instance, you can find new-in-box Stormchasers for around $10 at many stores).

Anyway, if you like arcade sticks, there are many good options for both systems. I don't think you can really compare the two systems based on their default controllers... you can, however, compare the support given for different control-systems like wheels, flight-sticks, etc. DC has the Virtual On dual-sticks (which no-one has, come on, admit it) whereas PS2 has many driving games, more gun-shooters, etc. I don't think the keyboard titles deserve too much mention except that you can use that PS2-with-embedded-keyboard pad on your pc with an adapter, which is kinda cool.

The DC pad is perfect for Soulcal, piss poor for most 2D fighting games. On the other hand, the PS pad is very good for things like racing games, and a little bit better for *some* fighting games, but... if a pad doesn't have six face buttons, it's never going to be good enough for 2D fighters - which is why we have third-party pads (for instance, you can find new-in-box Stormchasers for around $10 at many stores).

Anyway, if you like arcade sticks, there are many good options for both systems. I don't think you can really compare the two systems based on their default controllers... you can, however, compare the support given for different control-systems like wheels, flight-sticks, etc. DC has the Virtual On dual-sticks (which no-one has, come on, admit it) whereas PS2 has many driving games, more gun-shooters, etc. I don't think the keyboard titles deserve too much mention except that you can use that PS2-with-embedded-keyboard pad on your pc with an adapter, which is kinda cool.

Oh yeah, the Virtual On dual-sticks is really awesome!!! Just like the arcade. Speaking of which, the XBox's Tekki controller is another awesome, uncomparable controller.