having a hell of a time making games work

When i take my entire set of neogeo games 40+ from my neorage and place them into either kawaks or nebula i get about 10-15 roms that show up as playable. I have tried adding neo geo bios to nearly all the folders just to see if anything came up and nothing, and im using the latest versions of all of them. I dont know if its my roms or if its my dat files or my bios?. I read the instructions in the emulators and did what they said but I still cant even get half of my games to show up as playable.

Can some one please help me with this, ill be going back through the forums to see what i can dig up.

why dont the latest versions of the emulators automatically detect atleast most of my older games?

Thanks.

I can do this i just need somewhere to start, If i have to download new roms, ill even go that far.....

Edited by PLasticSlug

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the dat has to match your games exactly. And most NRX games use.rom extensions while Kawaks/Nebula use.bin. I suggest you use the Rom Dat Maker and make custom dats for each of your games and add them into the ASR.DAT and NEOGEO.DAT for Kawaks and Nebula, respectively.

im curious why there is not any dat files that willl have that already done for you, or is it because there are many versions of the roms out there and it would be waste of time to put them all in?

is there any sites in general that have kawaks and nebula (formatted?) type games. I know we cant give the sitesout but a simple y/n will will suffice.

ill start on that this weekend

Most ROMs are compatible with both NRX and Kawaks/Nebula. Almost all of mine (except for the really old dumps) convereted just fine from NRX to Kawaks. I used RomCenter to convert them to the proper names. It's only in the newest games that you really need to worry about having the P roms and such.

I think it doesn't matter if the rom images are roms in Kawaks and Nebula. I could be wrong though.

Mr. G: What "proper" names? Since when was manual renaming of sets so much work?

Edited by Agozer

Mr. G: What "proper" names? Since when was manual renaming of sets so much work?

By proper names I mean the ones in the DATs like 270, 180, etc. And I wasn't going to manually rename over 100 rom sets, I'm far too lazy.

By proper names I mean the ones in the DATs like 270, 180, etc. And I wasn't going to manually rename over 100 rom sets, I'm far too lazy.

I simply stopped caring about cart IDs.

Except for the one you HAVE to put in the dat (cartID:).

Edited by Agozer

ok have the rom center download, is that the same as the (rom dat maker)?. but any way is there a simple way to do this or am i going to have to manually rename all the necessary files? any suggestions would great.

stupid question but where is the asr.dat file in winkawaks?

Thanks

Edited by PLasticSlug

ok have the rom center download, is that the same as the (rom dat maker)?. but any way is there a simple way to do this or am i going to have to manually rename all the necessary files? any suggestions would great.

stupid question but where is the asr.dat file in winkawaks?

Thanks

RomCenter isn't the same as Rom Data Maker.

Asr.dat is in the same directory as the executable.