DVD writers

Well, my laptop has a very minor dvd writer, a DVD-R, with only 2x speed.

I got it "just in case" situations.

Anyway, Im thinking about buying one, around at least 8x writing speed.

I actually saw a DVD plusminus RW that was 8x, for 200 bucks in cosco. I forgot the maker.

Anyways, can someone tell me if that is a good deal or not, and maybe the brands I should look for rather than the cheap flimsy ones?

Thanks in advance :pissedoff:

well mine is a exprex 8x...im pretty sure it aint "up there" but it does the job. it was for 1somthing since i stole it from my brother but it really does the job for dvds and games too!!! :pissedoff: my favorite part of course...

well anyways, if anythin, and i kno i wasnt much help bc i dont really know much bout brands and prices nowadays....id go to pricewatch.com for great deals...

HP and LG Eletronic DVD Writers are good in my book, both of them have never given me any problems. An OEM LG Electronic DVD-RAM/+/-R Writer GSA4081B I bought was only 115 CAD, which should be about 90 bucks USD.

As for my HP one, that came with my sister's computer. But it only supports +R burning.

i recently bought a lg 12x -/+ dual-layer burner for less then a $100 for my cousins pc and it works great and this model also works with all formats and even writes dvd-ram (most others only read dvd-ram)

i highly suggest going to a local pc show as most vendors there give you flea market prices on name brand burners and such.

2 sites i know of are marketpro.com and pcshow.com

HP and LG Eletronic DVD Writers are good in my book, both of them have never given me any problems. An OEM LG Electronic DVD-RAM/+/-R Writer GSA4081B I bought was only 115 CAD, which should be about 90 bucks USD.

Dude, that's the same model I have... Does it do -RW/+RW too?

Dude, that's the same model I have... Does it do -RW/+RW too?

Yeah, does RW also.