Best Hard Drive Brand

Alpha

Scratch Seagate off the list, they haven't made a good drive in years besides their line of Cheetahs (SCSI) and don't listen to Gryph :lol:.........IBM makes junk hard drives, the Deskstar series is well known for it's crappiness, being prone to sudden DEATH moreso than any other manufacturer.

Fujitsu makes good drives too, but they rank 3rd on my list.

The Seagate Barracuda line kicks ***.  They're fast as heck and quiet too.  I've had good luck with Samsung too, but a SATA Barracuda would be my top pick.

You don't have to censor ass.

My HDD is a Serial-ATA Samsung.

Edited by Agozer

Here's my personal experiences with each (and I have had quite a lot of experiences with all of them over the years):

Western Digital - Have had quite a few of their drives, only 1 has ever failed on me - a 3 year old 40 gb drive that was sandwiched between two high performance drives with no breathing space. Sent it back on the day the warranty expired and they sent me a brand new one free anyways... A good company to work with. I currently have 2 Western Digital drives in this case and they are quiet enough not to be heard over the casefan, which itself is very quiet.

Seagate - Silent, fast, deadly efficient is how you can express their best drives, especially the Barracudas. Though, you can expect to be paying an arm and a leg for them. If price isn't an issue, go for it!

Maxtor - Only bought a Maxtor 20gb 5400 rpm drive a while back, but it is still running in this computer today, 4 1/2 years later... so they can't be that bad reliabilitywise. However, despite being the slowest and smallest harddrive in my case, it is also the loudest when accessing. While my Western Digitals can barely be noticed, this Maxtor in particular thrashes about when reading or writing. Note, this is only my experience with one maxtor

IBM/Hitachi - Can't say anything good about the reliability for these guys. They run about average for a harddrive, but 3 drives and a warranty replacement for a friend later they still fail given enough time. And apparently we are not alone. A quick google search found that about half the high performance models IBM released in the past couple of years had unusual numbers of reports concerning reliability problems.

Gotta love Seagate, fast and silent. I bought one - 2mb cache, 160GB capacity, and it was only $170 aud. so very cheap too.. ! I still have a working 200mb Seagate so they reliability should be good..

Dont mind the Quantums or WD. Have 10GB and 17GB in a pc, and 4GB and 6GB in others

From my experience I dont like Maxtor (loud, slow), IBM (not reliable), or Fujitsu (not reliable)

In any event, let the poor things get enough airflow...