Bomb Scare? Or Playin Gta:vc

Bomb scare blamed on Grand Theft Auto

Florida man says his telephone bomb threat was just shouted advice on how to play the Rockstar game.

As anyone who's ever watched Cops knows, many people who are arrested claim they're the victim of some sort of mix-up. But Anthony S. Jones of Jacksonville, Florida, had a truly unique excuse when he was picked up for phoning in a bomb threat to the restaurant where he worked.

According to an article in the Florida-Times Union, Jones was on the phone with a co-worker when he shouted the following words into the phone: "There's a bomb in the building! There's a bomb in the building! Everyone needs to get out!" Rattled, the co-worker hung up and informed the manager, who evacuated the restaurant. After the police found no explosives in the restaurant, they "used a call-return feature" to trace the call to Jones.

When police arrived on his doorstep, Jones admitted he said the threatening words while on the phone--but not the person on the other end of the line. He claimed that he was merely shouting advice to a "child" playing "the game Grand Theft Auto" (presumably Vice City) while on the line with a coworker.

Although the Union article raises more questions than it answers--Did Jones identify himself when he made the call? If so, why would Police need to trace the call? Didn't his coworker recognize his voice? Did he have a beef with his work? Why was he helping a child play the M-rated GTA?--the outcome of the incident is clear. Jones is currently in jail on a $5,003 bond, and will face up to 15 years in jail if convicted.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

POSTED: 05/26/04 06:41PM PST

all i have to say is, this is a stupid man haha. its 3:00am, im tired, and i find this pretty interesting haha.

harsh?? i think he needs the electric chair!! :P

Why? Just cause he didn't feel like going to work that day? I mean come on, be honest, we've all been tempted to call in a bomb threat to our schools/workplaces on some days! :D

harsh?? i think he needs the electric chair!! :D

Why? Just cause he didn't feel like going to work that day? I mean come on, be honest, we've all been tempted to call in a bomb threat to our schools/workplaces on some days! :P

being tempted is one thing but actually doing it is another... :D they need to be harsh to show that practical jokes like this may be taken serious and cause up evil.... think of all the wasted emergency services time!! they couldve been out saving lives or eating doughnuts!!! :P

Edited by Ash_crimson

Either the guy is very bad at making excuses, or he is quite stupid.

But I agree that the sentence is maximum draconian! 15 years for a bomb threat? People get charged with murder and rape these days and they get barely half that, if not less!!!

Either the guy is very bad at making excuses, or he is quite stupid.

But I agree that the sentence is maximum draconian! 15 years for a bomb threat? People get charged with murder and rape these days and they get barely half that, if not less!!!

Americans are oversensetive. Everything that is shomehow violating homeland security or making making false bomb threats because of humnan error, faces some long times in the slammer.