Xbox Next-gen: First Demos Revealed

ForceX

Microsoft today sent shockwaves across the games industry, showing the first ever real-time demos of the next-gen software tools which will power Xbox 2. The demos, which formed the epicentre of Microsoft's XNA announcement, were presented by Mr Xbox himself J Allard, ably assisted by Lara Fry of the Xbox ATG and Chris Donohue from the Windows division.

While running on a souped-up Windows PC, the demonstrations were specifically geared towards highlighting what gamers can expect from the next generation of console hardware - ie Xbox 2.

Demo one was created by High Voltage Software and, entitled 'Rex' showed a creature moving through an empty landscape, mutating at intervals into entirely different entities.

The creature is controlled in real-time via Controller S (part of Microsoft's new initiative to standardise controllers across Xbox and Windows platforms) switching from furry yeti, to six-legged insect, to four-legged abomination, to an equally random, undeniably cute, armadillo.

While the detail is superb, it's tough to ascertain how impressive the demo is in real terms, since it takes place in an empty environment with no collision.

The second demo, called 'Film Noir', offers a viewpoint of the technology. A young, seductively attired female sits at a table in a cafe, tantalisingly tracing her finger across the table as a cigarette burns idly in a nearby ashtray.

The scene is entirely in black and white except for the bright scarlet of the girl's fingernails and lips. Donahue zooms around with the camera to show off the amazingly realistic facial animations.

The camera then swoops saucily down her bare legs, resting its salacious gaze on her high-heel clad feet, described by Fryer as: 'The best real-time feet ever'.

All nice enough, we admit, but Microsoft saved the best till last with the astonishing 'Crash'.

Created by David Woo of Pseudo Interactive, attendees were first treated to officially the shiniest car we've ever seen, a Saleen, sat in a virtual garage. The camera twists and turns, headlights flash, and actual, proper real-time reflections cause a minor stir amongst the crowd.

Fiddling with on-screen settings, the car is launched full-tilt down a narrow corridor. Yeah, yeah, very fast, still shiny, whatever... But just when our trusty cynic-o-matic is about to fire into action, the highpoint: the car slams into a wall, smashing in the most astonishingly realistic manner we've ever witnessed aside from the real thing. Honest to goodness: 'Wow!'

And to underline the point, the clip is rewound and played back in slow motion, with the camera zooming around in real-time offering myriad vantage points. Hundreds of shards of metal and glass spray out from the area of impact; bodywork crumples, concertina-like, as the car deforms, contorts and pirouettes out of control.

But most surprising of all, perhaps, 'Crash' has also turned out to be the gameplay experience of the show. Yes, we've played it - we have, to all intents and purposes, played the world's first Xbox 2 game. With J Allard. And we'll bring you our full impressions plus amazing exclusive details on the next iteration of the demo later.

Meanwhile, you can find more information about XNA at www.microsoft.com/xna.

Since the next Xbox won't have an HDD looks like I won't be buying one.... :blink:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never say never..... M$ could change thier minds about the HDD. and anyways exept for the conveniance of running apps off the HDD it's not such a big deal. as long as they don't change the media and we can still mod it and use dvd-r the HDD isn't a big loss.

by the time xbox 2 comes out dvd burners and media will be priced super low. I just got a decent dvd burner for 100 bucks after a 60 dollar rebate.

anyways al the demo stuff sounds nice but it don't mean nothin untill it's running on real hardware.

like I said, not a big deal unless they go to some wacky media. we're talking 1 or 2 years away anyways. I'll make my next gen console purchase decision the same as always. wait till they hit shelves and evaluate it from there.

Why would they be ditching the HDD? Fear of piratism of some sort?

yep, that and cost is a factor.

but what does bill expect make a glorified pc and expect no one to hack it. :angry: heheh.

but I still believe they will back out of the "no HDD" idea. ps3 will most likely sport a HDD and M$ don't wanna be behind.

Cost effective and the pirating. With modding you can change the lousy8/10 GB one to 40+/-137GB HDD and its DVD drive to something faster. Changing the shell and OS can make it also a personal web/ftp server(I would like one :angry:)

I remember reading something on Slashdot not too long ago about how some flash memory manufacturer slipped out that they are providing stuff for the X-Box Next. Flash memory is pretty small now but I'm sure they can make it pretty big and since it's flash memory, it'll be faster than you say "X-Box Next is going to suck!".

I remember reading something on Slashdot not too long ago about how some flash memory manufacturer slipped out that they are providing stuff for the X-Box Next. Flash memory is pretty small now but I'm sure they can make it pretty big and since it's flash memory, it'll be faster than you say "X-Box Next is going to suck!".

True, but then what is going to make PS3 any better?

M$ has a SUPERB online program (the best in the console world). This is key to their success in the future. PlayOnline is moving VERY slowly and will take a while to develop, much like it took for the XBOX.

I am buying XBOX-NEXT to eventually attain Shemue III. :)

Anon.