Good news everyone!

iq_132

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, personally, I can't wait to see which games have been improved/added.

+ T +, just wanted to ask you something. Last night I was playing espRADE, and I tried it in both CoinOPS and FBL1.3.

I noticed that even though the FPS while using either didn't dip at all*, it did seem like there was more slowdown in FBL.

Is this just because it's emulated "better", i.e. it actually includes slowdown that was present in the arcade (whereas CoinOPS doesn't)? I'd always been under the impression that if FBL runs it, it'll run it better than CoinOPS. (CoinOPS is for "everything else".)

Note: I'm using an earlier version of CoinOPS and it wasn't running espRADE in the FBA/FBL core.

EDIT: * actually, yes, it did dip, but nothing really worth pointing out. i.e. CoinOPS showed 58 all the time, FBL showed 59.something (it fluctuated between 59 and 59.whatever).

Huh. Might have just answered my own question there? That is, CoinOPS runs it at a slightly lower constant framerate?

EDIT 2: also, I did direct the question at +T+, but if anyone else knows the answer...

Edited by RatherAnnoyed

For all the major supported cores (CPS, NeoGeo, Cave, Psikyo, Konami, Toaplan, others...) FBL will outperform CoinOPS' MAME core every time. Obviously if CoinOPS uses the FBL core for certain games then these will run just equally well however as far as I know you have no filters or other options to choose from and no possibility for 1080i, all of which FBL handles and maintains full speed on pretty much all games.

ESPrade runs full speed in FBL. Any slowdown you experience was most likely present in the original arcade machine. However, FBL does include an option to overclock the emulated CPU which will reduce or eliminate these slowdowns (it can cause problems in some though so use with care). If CoinOPS doesn't exhibit these internal slowdowns then it's probably using a similar feature by default. You can find this feature under General Options in the in-game menu.

Yeah, I figured as much (that the slowdown was possibly "emulated") - thanks for the confirmation.

I'll take a look see at this overclocking malarkey. That did not occur to me. (Probably because I've never felt like FBL ever even needed it.)

When you say "cause problems" you just mean it's more likely to crash the emulator? Or did you mean that it forces the xbox itself to work a bit harder than it's used to? What I mean is, are the issues you speak of caused by an instability in the emulator or the xbox itself working too hard?

Oh, one more thing. IGNORE ME AND MY STOOPID QUESTIONS AND GET 1.4 FINISHED ALREADY, YOU HEAR?

This does raise an interesting question though (which I'll throw out to everyone):

Would you prefer that slowdown present in the arcade version was also present in the emulated version?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure how I would answer. I have a number of conflicting thoughts on the subject.

For example:

It made espRADE a whole bunch harder. Everything just seemed a bit quicker and more manic in the CoinOPS version.

But:

It's not then "arcade perfect", and the slowdown present in the arcade might have been there for that very reason.

Hmmm.

/strokes chin thoughtfully

the slowdown in epsrade and guwange is basically due to the limitations of the cave arcade board used at the time,most shmup players prefer the slowdown.even in the recent cave port of deathsmiles to the 360.the us version of the game actually had the slowdown removed and a few of the shmup freternity were not pleased with this at all.

it was put right in the pal release though,i would say keep the slowdown as its part of the arcade experience so to speak.

@fumanchu

Interesting, I was not aware of it being removed on the US version of DS. The slowdown on that game is pretty mental (I have the PAL version), so to be honest I'd be a bit miffed too: removing the slowdown would surely make the game near enough impossibly difficult?

While on the subject of games just not working, I got an out of memory error last night while trying to run Dodonpachi in CoinOPS?

I'm on Epic R9 if I recall correctly (I've avoided keeping up to date with it; cannot be chuffed with the constant updates that add little more than shortcuts to other console emus).

the slowdown in epsrade and guwange is basically due to the limitations of the cave arcade board used at the time,most shmup players prefer the slowdown.even in the recent cave port of deathsmiles to the 360.the us version of the game actually had the slowdown removed and a few of the shmup freternity were not pleased with this at all.

it was put right in the pal release though,i would say keep the slowdown as its part of the arcade experience so to speak.

at first it was due to hardware limitation...buy time passed and Cave started to program slowdown. The "aksys" port of DeathSmiles was total crap...RSG released DS in Europe without any slowdown alteration. they've respected Cave's game..not like those jerks from Aksys.

and you must know Cave games are not really running at 59fps, but more uncommon fps (57.5 for ESP Rade)

its not a question to prefer slowdowns or not....just a question to respect a game programmed with slowdown

Removed ^^

Edited by Sparda

I found afew games that dont run so great, "Double Dragon" it runs perfect in Coinops but pretty badly in FBL. As does "Alien Storm", any plans to fix these? I'll let you know if I find any others.

Double Dragon is fixed and runs very nicely in FBL 1.4. Alien Storm runs on the Sega System16 driver which is choppy. This is the only example I can think of of a major driver that currently runs better in MAME than FBA. If any driver improvements are made to the PC version I will implement them into FBL.

And Sparda I would request that you (or a mod) delete the latter part of your post. I really don't want that trash posted here. It's completely at odds with the new positive direction this forum is taking and if anybody wants to read that sort of nonsense they know where to find it.

In answer to RatherAnnoyed's question; I prefer not to overclock the CPU and run games as closely as possible to how the original would play. So if that means slowdowns then I want the slowdowns but it's great to have the option and that's what FBL is all about. ;)

Edited by + T +

Bang on. Haters gonna hate and all that. Leave the drama well alone.

I just want someplace to talk bout games... in between pretending to work and actually playing them, of course.

Yeah, I think I'm similarly inclined on the emulated slowdown question.

That is, I'd rather play it as it was originally (intended or otherwise), but for some games where the slowdown is a bit intrusive (Deathsmiles), or it was just down to the hardware struggling to keep up (espRADE), it's nice to have the option there to see how the game would handle running without it.