The China Opportunity

Well Ryan is in China and there is more opportunity the next semester.

I am intrigued by this opportunity. To work on the opposite side of the planet, in one of the most rich and oldest of civilizations. I keep saying opportunity and this is a big one. This is outside the box for me. I can have such a great experience. And on top of the obvious sights and wonders, Id actually be contributing to the world. Not some crap job where I work for the man, but to teach.

There are many questions I have, general and specific. Questions I must ask myself. Am I interest in this because it's easy? To make games or to be an artist, years of school are required and then much refinement. This job does seem easier to obtain in relative terms. My sister is in school to be a teacher. I have seen some of what she has to do. This seems somewhat unfair if you follow my meaning.

I would excel in this situation. I am excitable and am charismatic. Im sure I could make this interesting to those I teach. The teachers I remember most made learning fun. That sounds cheesy but these teachers made things real to me. They didnt say read this and than and here is a test and then sit behind a desk the remainder of the period... The best teachers I've had were engaging. They were happy to be there and were not shy on their methods on interaction.

I have much more to say but I'll stop here.

This is what I want now. Seriously now... I need points of view. Id appreciate a devils advocate too. I need a debate here. Pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from everything I've heard it seems like a good opportunity. I don't know if I could do it myself. the thought of being an impossible distance from home doesn't sound like something I'd like to much. I'm not crazy about spicy beef bowels and pig brains either.

Yes being on the opposite side of the planet would be taxing on many levels. I foresee a sense of loneliness being so far away. Its not like I have visited Florida since I moved but if something were to happen, I could get there within a day at best. Id not be able to leave so easily if something were to happen. Ryan mention "more questions" since he has the rest of the month off due to testing and he is bored. Id hate to get cabin fever in a place so foreign. But then again Id be seeing sights and culture first hand and that is quite exciting.

It's not like I can just play games when bored either. For awhile now I have been so fucking bored with games, my only joy now is when my sister and I go do something. For instance the fair was just here. What would I do in times of absolute boredom? LOL But then again I could commit myself to studies of Mandarin and further my lesson plans... Id have a real job so work could distract me. I could absorb myself in self growth. How badass would this look on a resume!?

And Id not be gone forever. I've already been here a year. An entire year has flown by. Im sure my time in China would come and go before I knew what happened. But you never know. I may have more value than I know... perhaps this is a career in the making. You never know. I do know I will do well.

But what of law. What if I were to do something that got me in trouble? For instance: What if a guy pulled a knife on someone else and I took him out. Would I be guilty of beating someones ass till I was absolved? What other dangers are there?

Of course I have alot of questions I will pose to Ryans superior... I'll be fully aware of the situation soon enough.

But I take a step back and look at what this is. An opportunity to experience a world I have only read about or seen on monitors. I can only imagine how the rice fields look with my own eyes. I do plan on taking trips and seeing everything I can. Needless to say Id buy a camera and take so many pictures.

But I need to be objective. Am I interested cause it sounds awesome? I must be certain this is what I want and not some half cocked adventure. I say this... Id be truly committed to the job im assigned. To teach others to speak my native language. Even considering unforeseen challenges, I know Id excel at this.

Hmmmmm.

Home sick big time man, been that far away might really kick the fuck out of you.

I would climb up the walls if I couldnt see my family.

What Id like to know is the job?? You only have to speak english?

The first thing id learn to see is "Ill get this round in!"

:lol:

All in all if you got the guts to get on a plane for that long, touch down and acclimatise and put in some hours of work then I think its something one should do especially if he has no serious ties back home. (Id lose my house, my benefits etc)

if your a young male working of his own back, no family ties, then FUCK YEAH!

Id just be worried about naps, i like o rest if i get drained and can "flump" easily till im settled.

Man going all that way on a 4 engine jumbo jet, epic shit man.

Being so far is not that bad, I can understand if you had kids and a wife, but you don't.

You're single like me.

I have always be in the mood for adventure and this fed my desire. I can't express how awesome this has been so far.