The China Opportunity

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps after my questions are answered? I sent my 1st set of questions to your boss days ago, no reply. I have more questions for him too but I need the 1st ones answered.

I can answer your questions.

Well here are my first questions that I sent

Ill surely have more questions but I figure too many at once would be silly.

I hear by the time the next semester begins you, or at least Ryan will be teaching at a new location. Does relocation happen often? This question comes from the concern of job stability. I dont know much at all about this position and dont like the feeling of ignorance. I understand there is a large demand for english teachers.

About teaching in general. I know I have the ability to do this but it seems somewhat strange to employ those without a background in such a career. I recall you saying there are guidelines or whatever, and it's up to the teachers to teach according to their styles. But how often do you have meetings? How common is spoken English among the regular faculty? I have concerns about communication in general. I'm just curious, I understand we report to you.

What it the position I would be filling? That is of course if you choose me and I accept. Something about strengthening English... Id be teaching students that already have a fundamental understanding of it? How big are the classes usually? What is the age group/range? How long are the periods (classes). How many classes? How many other english teachers will there be? Is there a standard time for foreign language classes? Im curious about what condition my students would be in... I.E. Just before lunch or after... after a P.E. class. Again Im just throwing questions out there.

If picked, Id of course buy a lap top... are there particular programs or resource materials synonymous with your program I should be aware of? Im sure having an English/Mandarin Translator on the laptop would benefit if I need to make certain someone understands what I am trying to convey (considering if I was alone with no translator with the students) is having my own computer in class permitted?

I have many questions, but some seem to mix with other questions as you may notice here. I dont know exactly what the conditions are. To avoid confusion or moving in circles, I will wait for your reply.

Well here are my first questions that I sent

Ill surely have more questions but I figure too many at once would be silly.

I hear by the time the next semester begins you, or at least Ryan will be teaching at a new location. Does relocation happen often? This question comes from the concern of job stability. I dont know much at all about this position and dont like the feeling of ignorance. I understand there is a large demand for english teachers.

About teaching in general. I know I have the ability to do this but it seems somewhat strange to employ those without a background in such a career. I recall you saying there are guidelines or whatever, and it's up to the teachers to teach according to their styles. But how often do you have meetings? How common is spoken English among the regular faculty? I have concerns about communication in general. I'm just curious, I understand we report to you.

What it the position I would be filling? That is of course if you choose me and I accept. Something about strengthening English... Id be teaching students that already have a fundamental understanding of it? How big are the classes usually? What is the age group/range? How long are the periods (classes). How many classes? How many other english teachers will there be? Is there a standard time for foreign language classes? Im curious about what condition my students would be in... I.E. Just before lunch or after... after a P.E. class. Again Im just throwing questions out there.

If picked, Id of course buy a lap top... are there particular programs or resource materials synonymous with your program I should be aware of? Im sure having an English/Mandarin Translator on the laptop would benefit if I need to make certain someone understands what I am trying to convey (considering if I was alone with no translator with the students) is having my own computer in class permitted?

I have many questions, but some seem to mix with other questions as you may notice here. I dont know exactly what the conditions are. To avoid confusion or moving in circles, I will wait for your reply.

The job is very stable, companies intentionally send you to new locations, you'll be taken care of by us directly though, so no level of discomfort will be felt when it comes to job stability/travel.

China is starving for English teachers, they are over populated too. They don't have the luxury of asking for degrees. It does help but it's not a necessity. You don't often have meetings. Most of the foreign teachers don't speak Chinese so luckily you don't have to attend 99.99 percent of them. Common English is not common among the local faculty, but if they see you those that speak English will try to talk with you. If you have any questions you can always come to me or Steven and a few other reliable people here. You'll be well taken care of.

You have a set schedule all semester and only have the same class once a week. The classes are around 45 - 65 students. Normal for China. There maybe be one or two other foreign teachers working at the same school with you. The times each day vary, and the kids English levels also varies. Your main goal is to make the kids excited about learning English, make the class fun.

Yes you're allowed to bring your own PC anywhere you want, you can use it as a means of teaching too. I am sure there are some good programs out there for this but most people just make up there own material.

You better come to china now, I just answered all these freaking questions while being dead tired!

You better come to china now, I just answered all these freaking questions while being dead tired!

LOL not quite. You must be tired to say such a thing. I have more questions. I sent the revised questionnaire to both you and him.

Please relay to him I need a response at his earliest convenience.

LOL not quite. You must be tired to say such a thing. I have more questions. I sent the revised questionnaire to both you and him.

Please relay to him I need a response at his earliest convenience.

Take your toys back to the cahpet! :D

Will is thinking too much.

I agree.

Yes Will, Steven and I will still answer your other overly thought out questions l0l. :D

I'm here man, that should be evidence enough. You'll have a great time and experience a whole new culture.