Emulator Launcher

sbpaabck

I have seen some talk on here about merging different emulators to be "under one hood." At least thats the way I took it...

Was wondering if people would prefer to have an emulator that runs absolutely everything or if they would prefer just a nice looking all in one emulator launcher such as a stripped down version of xbmc tailored or this particular task.

Or do people think they should just remain seperate?

Personally I think it would be cool to honour everyone by keeping different emulators seperate but maybe creat some sort of sleek, beat playing, history giving launcher.

This would be great if the launcher could be used as a dashboard, I bet ppl who have built their own xbox cabinets would love something like that/ maybe they already have it but im imagining something like this:

Turn on - presented straight away with nice graphics emphasising the xbox's versatility etc (maybe while loading)

then a selection of options appears accompanied with nice graphics - pics etc: "please select your emulator"

scroll up and down / select, maybe each box expands to offer different versions of said emulators once selected

Once selected the emulator loads as normal.

This way everything is all under one program (much like xbmc) yet still seperate entities.

If this could be released as an all in one package it would possibly be granting a massive boon to the xbox emulation scene especially to the noobs. Imagine a world where xbox cabinets start springing up all over the place as the popularity rises again - a hopeless dreamer? - perhaps ;)

Anyhow just a thought for the day feel free to read and discard ;) but am interested to see what the general concensus is for everyone in here?

Your thoughts please:

Well really your talking about a stripped xbmc style frontend. That way any emulator thats added would be detected by the frontend. Using this method wouldnt require any emulator xbe editing which gives flexibility to the end user as to which installs they choose.

^ Yep. I use MC360 which has a button on the games blade that takes you straight to your emulators. Most other skins have an emulators link or at least a programs link which does pretty much the same thing so long as you have your emulators folder set up as a source. I don't see a need for a specially made XBMC which only launches emulators, unless maybe your xbox is in an arcade cabinet, and used only for emulation.

^ Yep. I use MC360 which has a button on the games blade that takes you straight to your emulators. Most other skins have an emulators link or at least a programs link which does pretty much the same thing so long as you have your emulators folder set up as a source. I don't see a need for a specially made XBMC which only launches emulators, unless maybe your xbox is in an arcade cabinet, and used only for emulation.

exactly! I suppose that was what I was getting at really, some sort of dashboard specifically made for arcade cabinets.

I suppose all this is done quite easily anyway, it would be cool to make it easier for people to do though.

At the moment I use evox3935 with shortcuts to the emulators I use. One day I hope to put the xbox into an arcade cabinet but then I might need another xbox for media centre as it is currently hooked up to my amp.

shame the 360 isn't as cool as the original for all this stuff. imagine what could be emulated with the extra power under the hood!

if anyone has a cab the best option there is to use mediax menu for anyne who has tried baed they will know what i am talking about.

just set the mediax menu default.xbe as your boot updash so to speak and you are ready to go.

or another alternative is unleashx have it boot up to your emulators i dont know if unleashx lets you do this but i am geussing yes.the added bonus of unleashx is that it plays preview vids of games or whatever so just have some arcade vids up and running as you scroll through your emulators.

those are the best alternatives for a cab.

i have built about 8 cabs now and i use a cut down XBMC with a modified slate skin - using cos wide screen pack (with some mods) i think its perfect for a cab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyiA2HIFKo

That is soooo cool!

More or less what I imagined, in fact better! Makes it look really exciting!

Well really your talking about a stripped xbmc style frontend. That way any emulator thats added would be detected by the frontend. Using this method wouldnt require any emulator xbe editing which gives flexibility to the end user as to which installs they choose.

Is that you're girlfriend/wife? she's NIIICE :lol: